Latex allergy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decided to bring back this ancient thread rather than start my own. See, I can search :)

I'm getting the same problem now. I did about 40 dives with latex seals (wrist and neck) with no problems but on the last three dives I got a red ring around my neck. I don't get a reaction on my wrists. I'm not sure what is causing it, anyone have updates on how they solved the problem? It's not much fun.

I don't *think* I'm allergic to latex. It's also strange that I had a bunch of dives with no problems then the last few I developed the rash. Could talc be the problem? Should I wash the seal before I dive?

kazinvan:
. . .
I don't *think* I'm allergic to latex. It's also strange that I had a bunch of dives with no problems then the last few I developed the rash. Could talc be the problem? Should I wash the seal before I dive?
From George Irvine on another Scuba Group List:
"I have myself had the hangman's neck thing, and I have no allergy and as everyone knows, no sensitivity[ :05: ]. My suits are perfectly cut and the seals changed on a regular basis. I think the neck ring is a skin bend. I notice that the people who are claiming it . . . are mostly cold water divers. In our Florida cave diving, the water is not that cold, but cold enough that when doing a long dive one could get shunting of circulation away from the extremities to the extent that something like a neck seal would be enough to cause a skin bend in the latter stages of a decompression. If the gas gets in early in the dive, but the diver gets cold later, the reduction in blood flow to the extremities could result in those areas not being able to offgass properly. . .
. . .This kind of bend can be exasperated by an improper ascent from the deeper parts of the dive. Cold and lack of deep stops seem to be the two contributing factors to skin bends. As far as what you put on the seals, I only use the talc since any lubricant can get into the fabric and make it very difficult to get a new seal to hold properly - if the fabric has lubricant in it, when you go to replace the seal you will not be able to get the kind of bond you need to ensure that the seal does not break off. . ."

kazinvan:
Decided to bring back this ancient thread rather than start my own. See, I can search :)

I'm getting the same problem now. I did about 40 dives with latex seals (wrist and neck) with no problems but on the last three dives I got a red ring around my neck. I don't get a reaction on my wrists. I'm not sure what is causing it, anyone have updates on how they solved the problem? It's not much fun.

The only thing I use on my seals is Talc, so I really don't think that is causing your rash. It is not un-heard of for people to develop an allergy later on. Neoprene is always an option, though I have never had great luck with Neoprene. Also, the Apollo Bio Seal is an option that many of my customers have used with great success.

It's all rather confusing, compounded by the fact that I'm still renting the suit. I tried a few neoprene seals in the past, but they leaked so I'm not in a hurry to go back.

kazinvan:
It's all rather confusing, compounded by the fact that I'm still renting the suit. I tried a few neoprene seals in the past, but they leaked so I'm not in a hurry to go back.

There seems to be a few threads covering this, and incidentaly it is the topic that lead to me joining SCUBA boards! I am a relatively new dry suit diver but have been diving for some time otherwise.
I get the rash, I'd almost call it a burn, right on the point of my adams apple, it seems to be friction from the latex, as I have no allergy's and the wrists don't "chafe" because the sleeve can turn with the wrist and doesn't rub. The shoulders (being bigger) anchor my suit and when I turn my head the kneck of the suit stays still...
I'm hanging in there but am thinking about a neoprene kneck seal next winter.
One forum here mentioned that if the rubber gets a bit old it can get sticky spots, so that's worth looking at too. Mine looks ok but still bites.
The main thing for guys is to decide to shave before diving or let your kneck hair grow for at least 4 days, I think it's like cyclists shave their legs, if they hit the tarmac they get grazed at the point of impact but don't have the hair pulling the skin off in big sheets.
So... My suggestion SHAVE and perhaps smear some water based lube on your kneck, you'll find it where ever you buy condoms, pharmacy, or supermarket. Get over any embaresment quickly, make a joke of it yourself before others do! :)
Let me know how you go!?

Thanks for the tips, next time I'll try shaving the morning of the dive to see if that helps. My dive buddy uses KY already to get his wrists through the neoprene seals, so it won't be a big deal if I put some on my neck.

I'll let you know how it goes.

About pee question: John Sampson from GUE gave a cavern/cave dive lecture the other night. Mentioned that a female pee 'conector' has been invented that works quite well. He said that two Norweigan? gals came up with it. He said that his dive partner (Karen) uses it.

About pee question: John Sampson from GUE gave a cavern/cave dive lecture the other night. Mentioned that a female pee 'conector' has been invented that works quite well. He said that two Norweigan? gals came up with it. He said that his dive partner (Karen) uses it.

it is called the she-P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom