LDS class prices...please advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They never misled me, but they never led me. These fees just keep popping up one after the other, and they talk as if $100 is 10 bucks. Here's how it breaks down for me:

$190 OWC tuition
$55 PADI book, RDP, and dive log book package
$40 OWC dvd
$250 Mask, fins, boots, snorkel
$35 Mesh Bag
$25 Log Binder
$190 3mm Wetsuit
$140 Check out dives
$80 Gear rental
$44 Dutch Springs Entrance
$15 Air Refills
$50 Hotel

$?? Still need to buy gloves. They don't rent them.

These are the fees that appear one at a time. I don't even get 2 weeks to bounce back and save up a little more. And I definitely wasn't told ahead of time I would be looking at this kind of bills. Someone should haev said day 1, "For $1,000.00 you could become certified." Then I would have waited.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Get used to it. Diving is expensive. I have more in my diving than I do in my house.

Mike, You probably have more in your diving gear that I have in My House! >but then again< you used to run a dive shop! :wink:

I have about $2500 in dive gear, My class was broken down like this..

$54 College tuition
$130 Lab Fees (Pool rentals of everything except Snorkel, Mask, Fins)
$50 Books
$85 OW course and Rentals.
$12 Air fills (for OW on dive site)
$35 Log book
----------------------
$366 (Total Cost)

My Girlfriend is going through the same people, but not through the college, and this is what she pays.

$260 includes (everything except Mask, Snorkel, Fins)
All pool rentals
Books
Air fills
Log Book
OW certification from boat.
OW Gear Rentals
OW Air fills.

Does not include Lodging or transportation to the OW site.

The difference between my course and her course is, Her course is a two week course, mine was a 10 week course.
Both courses have a 2 student to instructor ratio.

2 Bar once bubbled...
They never misled me, but they never led me. These fees just keep popping up one after the other, and they talk as if $100 is 10 bucks. Here's how it breaks down for me:

$190 OWC tuition
$55 PADI book, RDP, and dive log book package
$40 OWC dvd
$250 Mask, fins, boots, snorkel
$35 Mesh Bag
$25 Log Binder
$190 3mm Wetsuit
$140 Check out dives
$80 Gear rental
$44 Dutch Springs Entrance
$15 Air Refills
$50 Hotel

$?? Still need to buy gloves. They don't rent them.

personal Gear aside.
$190 OWC Tuition
$55 PADI Book
$40 OWC DVD
$25 Log
$140 Check out Dives
$80 Gear rentals
---------------------------
$530 < ouch!>

$190 seems a Bit High for a 3mm Wet suite? I bought one for me for $100 at GI Joes, and my Lady has a VERY nice 3/2 one for $130 that is a Bare Stretch. (most expensive the dive shop would sell to me)

$250 is WAY too much for a base Mask Snorkle and fins.. There were various "Package" deals; the basic one was $160 which included low end Scubapro fins, Mask, Snorkle, booties, and mesh bag, one of the High end ones cost somewhere around $260-$270 and it included scubapro Twin Jets, Scubapro Mask, Snorkle, deep sea Booties, and a Mesh Bag. (I didn't have the $$ so I bought all my parts as components.. Twin Jet fins = $170, Booties = $30, Snorkle = $30, Mask = $50) and I use an Orange cotton Duffle bag as my gear bag (Free). (yea I paid more....ID10T Error, PBKAC, Loose Nut behind wheel problem, etc)
I had to have the "cool" fins, They had to be yellow.. What can I say, I am Vain. :D

It sounds like you are being Nickle and Dimed to death from Orbit.
:(

..that's expensive! My OW class was $350.00 everything(BC, regs and guages, tanks weights, and OW manual packet) included. Everything but the fins, mask and snorkel ( I didn't use a wet suit). OW dives were at a local quarry that is run by the LDS so I guess that's why there was no charge there.

Why do you NEED a mesh bag or a log binder for OW certification? Why can't you just make do with cheap laundry bag or something, and a binder from Office Depot that costs a buck or two?

Over $1,000.00 for OW at a quarry?... reeks of a scam to me..

I teach at a store in NYC - not the one you used - we are not PADI - but the costs you list do not sound unreasonable for the area - they are a little higher than the store I teach at - but not much

The rental of gear for the check out dives is standard practice - not everyone needs to rent all their gear for check outs

What do you get for the $140 on the check-out dives? If you are paying for a park entry, renting gear, paying for fills and your own accomodations and food; does that mean the instructor gets $140 fee for the dives. Wow! I've taught in both Illinois (Chicago Suburbs) and in Texas and we never hit anyone up for an extra "fee" to do the checkout dives.

Gear use included for pool and extra charges for open water has been standard for all areas and LDS I've taught with.

Sometimes I complain so much it sounds like I hate everything. My lds staff all seem like nice people and they are not looking to scam me.

$250 is too much for fins, boots, mask, and snorkel and my lds has no packages.
$190 is too much for a 3mm wetsuit.

But before I started the class I started reading this messageboard for info, and I learned of the importance of supporting my lds. So I went there, not knowing crap. They did teach me about equipment and sized me up, but never seemed to care about my budget which I kept repeating. I explained how I don't need 'great' gear because I won't be diving more than 3 times a year. Then they pull a $110 mask off the shelf to see how that fits. They begin explaining how the Gold Core suit might be warmer or how the Hyperstretch might fit better. Neoprene is more than adequate for me thanks.

I knew diving was expensive before I started. I'm not shocked. I just thought non-boat checkout dives for $140 after giving them all my bu$ine$$ would include gear or maybe include the quarry entrance at least.

They are already talking to me about AOW classes for $200 plus the book. I'll try to do that on my vacation instead.

I recently completed my OW certification here in TX, and I can say it was a lot cheaper. The class itself was $200. This included tank fills at the shop and pool rental, as well as the rental of the tank, BC, and reg. set-up with gauges. Wetsuit rental was not included. We were required to purchase a book and dive logs. This could be purchased as a combo for $64 (which included dive tables). For class, we needed mask, fins, snorkel, and weight belt. I borrowed all of my gear for class, and have since acquired my own. The entrance to the dive park was $10 a day which was not covered by the class fee. We also had to pay a deposit of $20 for the rental of the video to go along with the class. The $20 was refunded once we returned the tape.

Buisness overheads in New York City are somewhat bigger than TX - store rent, instructor salaries, sale staff salaries, pool rental etc etc - hence the price diffence

Really can not say the equipment was over priced without knowing what it was. Some stuff is obvoiusly not necessary - the fancy logbook binder etc.

Like I said the class price is about in line with everyone else in the area. - which I think was your concern

I just took PADI OW (hold the boos please!) in MD.
LDS charged me 349.00 for the whole thing, including quarry admission and all gear rentals at the pool and quarry. I only had to buy mask, fins, snorkle and boots. I will need to buy or rent equip from here on out. I believe this is a very fair policy. They will not rent hoods or gloves, I checked since the AOW is in Dutch Springs and the water there is cold!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom