LDS class prices...please advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealkie once bubbled...
Buisness overheads in New York City are somewhat bigger than TX - store rent, instructor salaries, sale staff salaries, pool rental etc etc - hence the price diffence

Really can not say the equipment was over priced without knowing what it was. Some stuff is obvoiusly not necessary - the fancy logbook binder etc.

Like I said the class price is about in line with everyone else in the area. - which I think was your concern

I'm not from NYC and my lds is not in NYC. The log binder was recomended by a friend based on conditions of logs he saw without them. I don't really have complaints about buying gear I will use a lot. I was just annoyed that my lds convinved me to buy a 3mm for my class, but to finish my class I need to rent a 7mm from them.

My concern was with what I paid verses the norm. I am fine with it now, since that's how it is.

In the end I guess we must respectfully agree to disagree. I feel gear is needed for a lds to train me as a beginner. It should simply be included in a class fee. I feel anything beyond OW is when a student should be responsible for providing his own scuba gear.

With me or against me, thank you all for your $.02 and opposing me on points in a respectfull manner. In that way it's easier to see why your view differs from mine. Cool thread. Thanks.

:bang:

2 Bar once bubbled...

I'm not from NYC and my lds is not in NYC. The log binder was recomended by a friend based on conditions of logs he saw without them. I don't really have complaints about buying gear I will use a lot. I was just annoyed that my lds convinved me to buy a 3mm for my class, but to finish my class I need to rent a 7mm from them.

My concern was with what I paid verses the norm. I am fine with it now, since that's how it is.

In the end I guess we must respectfully agree to disagree. I feel gear is needed for a lds to train me as a beginner. It should simply be included in a class fee. I feel anything beyond OW is when a student should be responsible for providing his own scuba gear.

With me or against me, thank you all for your $.02 and opposing me on points in a respectfull manner. In that way it's easier to see why your view differs from mine. Cool thread. Thanks.

:bang:

One nice thing about the 3mm Wetsuit, is when you go diving in warmer Tropical waters, you can use them! :D I have a 7mm and a 3mm shorty, I use the 3mm for pool practice (which I do when I can't get to OW) and I use the 7mm for.. well.. Open water. (how bout that :) ) I use my 3mm more as a Swim suit then as a wetsuit... Whenever I go somewhere were I am going to get wet, I grab my 3mm. the "Gold Core, Henderson Hyperstretch" explains why it was so expensive. I asked my Dive shop about a Henderson Hyperstretch for my Lady, and they ordered the Bare equiv, and sent me home with it so that my lady could try it on. They did not make me pay for it or anything. Talk about trust. Well.. The suit fit and I paid the LDS a week later for the suit.

If the LDS fulfills my needs, and their service makes supporting them worth it, then I will pay the Higher markups. Supporting my LDS has already saved me about $500 in gear as free repairs, and free upgrades.

Man,

I checked on OW for my brother here in Austin Tx,

99.00 Class fee
40.00 Books
20.00 for Lake Travis (private park) entry

Equip is included for whole class and check out dives, mask fins and snorkle are not included, prices range so I dont include them.

AOW, 99.00

This is the way most of the LDS are here.

..which shop?

I'm mulling over the idea of giving my bro-in-law an OW course for his birthday. I was thinking of taking him to Austin for a weekend or two seein' as I've noticed the prices in Austin are much better than they are here. I deal with one shop in particular when I'm down that way. I think they are called Dive Texas or something. They seem like a good shop and their prices are about the same.

You can do your OW class and pool sessions for $145.00 cdn. This includes all your gear and the manual/RDP, even your mask, fins and snorkel. Then you can choose to do your open water dives for $110.00. This includes ALL your gear. Everything from tanks to booties, gloves and a hood. Most of the instructors are extended range, deco trained (and teach with a 7' hose) and a few even have thier cave certs. Basicaly you are not getting a newbie instructor, but a very competent instructor.

Other than gas to the dive site, there is no other cost. You are encouraged to purchase a PADI log book, but it's not manditory, you are encouraged to purchase a mask, fins, booties and a snorkel, but it's not manditory.

2 Bar once bubbled...
They are already talking to me about AOW classes for $200 plus the book. I'll try to do that on my vacation instead.

LOL. Before you do, check out the cost of the course, plus the fact that you will be doing check dives on vacation. I just checked my favorite op on Grand Cayman. They charge US$350.00 for AOW.

Overall, the total costs sound about right.

As for the cost of the equipment, I'd probably cry if I totaled up the cost of the gear in my garage. The He and Ar bottles alone cost more than $250.00.

You made out just fine.

My LDS charges $199.00 for the group course. I believe that there is an additional charge for the books and the video/DVD.

We include rental gear and a rental wetsuit for OW. They also get 6 class/pool sessions and their checkout dives.

Student must provide personal gear (mask, fins, booties, snorkel, gloves, hood).

Overall, we tell people to plan on spending between $500 - 600 to become certified. It depends on the type of equipment they want.

If the student buys a complete package, then they get money back on the course.

Finally, they are encouraged, but not required, to tip the assistants.

Zag,

I deal with ScubaLand Adventures, but as you say they are all about the same around here...... people just dont believe me when I tell them they need to go ahead and get it done while in Austin.

I think I payed 300.00 for class and book around 92 in Miss. that did not even include the hotels and stuff for the check out dives in FL.

Rick

I just paid $400 for my two kids to get certified. That included all rentals, classes, books, and C-card. I wouldn't go to a place that kept on adding fees. Their personal snorkel gear was only $139 for brand name gear.

Clases - $150.00
PADI Books - $40.00
OW Dives - $135.00 including hotel accomodations, admittance to the springs and equipment rental (complintary from the LDS)

I have recently been certified in the UK (London). My course costs were:

OW Course - £350 ($550 USD). Includes everything except the PADI DVD (which you get to watch, but have to return). Nothing more to buy. Mask, fins, gloves, scuba unit, wetsuit, etc are all supplied in the pool and OW dives. If you do the course in Winter, an extra drysuit pool dive is included as you do the OW in a drysuit. The PADI dive log is included.

Dry Suit course - £125 ($200 USD). Includes everything. Video (which you keep) and all course materials. You get to try out different types of drysuit. I got this free, since I bought the drysuit from the LDS (for £800)

TDI Nitrox - £70 ($110 USD). Includes the TDI book. You have to pay extra for the c-card. The PADI course was £125 and included 2 dives (The TDI course is theory only)

AOW Course - £250 ($400 USD). Again, includes everything - however by this point I had bought all my equipment anyway.

Is the instruction any better? Probably not. I paid a little bit more because I did it through a London LDS - I could have saved maybe £50 on the OW course if I did it on the coast, but then I would have to drive 3 hours each way..

So yeah, the price sounds cheap :(

Back
Top Bottom