LDS cost to trim neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not trim your neck seal at any price. If I don't charge much and screw it up, you're still pissed and I'm operating at a loss. If I charge enough to cover my tail, you're pissed anyway... so I'd just say, politely, that trimming your neck seal is a very personal endeavor, and that you should be careful.
E. itajara

Get a big gulp cup and a razor blade. Take off one ring at a time and try it on after each ring.
Done correctly this way, it's nearly impossible to goof it up.
My LDS has a charge, but at 3pm on a thursday afternoon, there is nothing else they have going and would more than likely do it just for conversation and to have a diver in the store.

except the guy wanted to charge me $$ to change the seal to neoprene on a brand new suit. This is what you need: a good quality sharp pair of sissors, medium sized, nothing too big. Trim one ring a time. I have also tried to strech it over a tank. Did not make that much of a difference.

Epinephelus once bubbled...
I would not trim your neck seal at any price. If I don't charge much and screw it up, you're still pissed and I'm operating at a loss. If I charge enough to cover my tail, you're pissed anyway... so I'd just say, politely, that trimming your neck seal is a very personal endeavor, and that you should be careful.
E. itajara

Are you implying that you wouldn't cut MY neck seal, or anyones?

Bob3 once bubbled...
Having them assume liability would sound like a good way to assure that the seal would get trimmed and still be too tight.
I sure wouldn't trust a shop with an attitude, buying used gear shouldn't get a person on a **** list.
Do you have any other dive shops in the area, or are you over a barrel?
Next time you need a hydro, bring it to the tester & save some bucks.
Go ahead & grab the snips & do it your self, once you get over the hump & make the first slice, it's not that scary anymore.:wink:

Hi,
I intentionally brought the tanks to be hydroed there because I wanted to support this LDS - establish a good relationship really. I knew I could get it done cheaper. Thats also why I chose them to fix my wife's neck seal, which, btw, they were $15 more than one of the other lds's. I also just bought a 5' hose, and an adapter for my Apeks reg as well now that I think about it, which I of course could have gotten cheaper off of the net. I was planning on taking a nitrox course (and my wife) there but I'm not sure now.

The fact is, my wife and I have all of our equipment, which we got from a variety of places (this LDS only opened about 8 months ago, so weren't even an option) . The drysuit was the last piece.

I went and re-read her response to my question about the seal:
"We would probably charge you $25.00 (free if you'd bought the suit from us)."

So maybe now that I re-read it I'm over-reacting a bit. What do you think?

I emailed her back and said I would have loved to have botten new, but at this time could only afford a used suit. She hasn't emailed me back, but should some time this week, when my tanks are ready to be picked up. I'll see if she says anything then.

Darryl

I don't think it's too unreasonable. If some one buys a suit for me I not only help them trim the seals at no cost but I give them a dry suit class. Of course as markups drop that will end. I can get away with selling a thing at little or no markup once in a while but donating my time is stupid because I only have so much. We have lots of folks come in with little piddly things that we do for free. Next thing you know you worked all day for free. We are strongly considering a minimum service fee just like a electronics repair place has. Lets face it for much less than $25 it just isn't worth the time. We've always done little things for free thinking it would help sales. No way! It only keeps people comming in for the free work. They still buy their stuff from LP.

Trim it yourself you need to know how anyway. If you don't want to do it yourself then be willing to pay some one decently for their time.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I don't think it's too unreasonable. If some one buys a suit for me I not only help them trim the seals at no cost but I give them a dry suit class. Of course as markups drop that will end. I can get away with selling a thing at little or no markup once in a while but donating my time is stupid because I only have so much. We have lots of folks come in with little piddly things that we do for free. Next thing you know you worked all day for free. We are strongly considering a minimum service fee just like a electronics repair place has. Lets face it for much less than $25 it just isn't worth the time. We've always done little things for free thinking it would help sales. No way! It only keeps people comming in for the free work. They still buy their stuff from LP.

Trim it yourself you need to know how anyway. If you don't want to do it yourself then be willing to pay some one decently for their time.

Hi,
The more I think about it, the more the $25 doesn't seem that unreasonable. I certainly do not expect an LDS to work for free. I think what gets me more is her comment about not buying the suit from her. I took that, at least initially, as a comment basically saying we're going to charge you extra because you didn't buy a suit from us. What would I have been charged if I had already owned the suit, and she didn't know I had recently bought it? Would it be less? I don't know.

I don't think its right to penalize someone for buying something used is my point.

Darryl

I am never eager to part with my bucks, but $25 is not way excessive, especially if they are going to be responsible for accidently damaging the seal. She will need to trim one ring, hang around while you see how it fits, maybe repeat that procedure a couple of more times. LDS's often go out of their way to support something that they sold to you, but they need to make their money somewhere. Personally, I'd cut it myself.

Back
Top Bottom