LDS Problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CM,
I don't know how mech. inclined you are, but you really should learn how to do minor repairs and maint. on your equipment. As the others have said, changing hoses is real easy. Have someone show you how to change hoses and o-rings on your gear. I would still point out the mistake to your LDS and give them a chance to make it right with you. You could have them show you how to change the hoses and all while you are there and they are doing it.
Lloyd

The dive store screwed up, but I agree with seawoof, you put your own life in danger.

In the future I recommend you assemble the reg in the shop when you pick it up. Put it on a tank and see that it works. I went to pick up a rental the other day, as a replacement for my reg which the shop was working on, and it free-flowed. I could not have seen that but as soon as I put it on a tank it was obvious.

Piscean.

to a new one. It sounds like you are not happy with them anyway, but before you move have them fix your reg. Just my 3 cents worth.

Rich :mean:

Thank you for all your replies. To clarify a few things: The second stage is where the problem was, and since it is still under warranty, I was told that if anyone who wasn't a licensed Scubapro dealer touched it, it would void the warranty. That's what the dive shops on the island told me, as well. They told me they'd look at it, but that they weren't Scubapro licensed. I personally don't know how to rebuild and "service" regulators, which is why I take it to the dive shop. I never had problems with that shop before, and when you talk to other divers in the area, you're going to get mixed reviews with any shop. Everything appeared to be in order when I picked it up, and even as I went to use it. I wouldn't have a problem changing it around myself, but I don't want to mess it up...that's why my field is medicine and not regulator servicing. Anyway, thanks.

CM,
What area of med. are you in? Swapping hoses is alot easier than medicine for me. Changing the hoses would not void your warranty. I still say have your LDS show you how to do it in return for messing it up in the first place. Never know when the knowledge will come in handy.
Lloyd

If they could put a hose on wrong, what else might they miss. Too many shims? To "rich" a setting. The shop is suppose to keep a logbook on who fixed what. They should make it right gratis, then, if available, I'd consider a different shop.

I didn't check my reg the last time it was serviced, I trusted the shop to do it right. Next time, I'll check. Thanks for the heads up.

I had a reg "leak" a small bubble stream from the 1st stage during a dive trip right after I had it O2 cleaned at my LDS.

We figured it was just a bad seat to a seal that should have only needed a simple "loosen-reseat-tighten" but noone had the right size allen wrench on teh boat (my buddy is certified to work on this reg).

I took it to the local shop where we were diving in Florida (a dealer for the brand). They would not look at it unless I agreed to have them tear it down and rebuild it. They wouldn't let my budy borrow the proper tool to fix it either. Cost me about $70 as we didn't have time to go shopping for the right $2 wrench and still make it back to the boat for the afternoon divetrip.

When I got back, I brought it up with the owner of my LDS and he took the amount from the reciept I had and put it in as a credit on my store account.

I have apparently been one of the lucky few with access to a really good lds.

I have since gotten the right tools to make simple hose changes and adjustments to my own gear.

I have taken regs to three dive shops and I can say that none of them did a perfect job. The shops have all been in the dive business quite some time and are well established so I can only assume they all failed to test their equipment after re-assembling. I advise never dive with kit thats just been serviced without a checkout in the pool and a shallow dive. I think if you can find a way around the lds where you can access service kits and parts, it would be better if you diy.

I agree with both Lloyd's posts. people make mistakes. Give them a chance to apologise and fix the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom