LDS What ever happened to a fair price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba:
I still think even $355 is too expensive for a wetsuit personally. I bout my 3mm scubapro everflex full body suit for $200.

You are comparing apples and oranges. $355 is a going price for an average 7mm suit, and that is the MSRP on a 7mm everflex, but a 3mm everflex is $200. Personally, I got my 3mm everflex for $89 so maybe you grossly overpaid. Did I mention I got mine on closeout direct from the factory. Always gotta find out the details cause it really matters. Xcel has 2 models that go for $500 and worth every penny in cold water. Its a major pain in the butt trying to fit yourself to a wetsuit site unseen through your computer screen. I am highly suspect of claims that LDS's are charging 50% above MSRP. Having been in retail way too long for my own comfort I am quite familiar with consumers that don't know anything about what they are buying. Interesting that here you see the correlation of people complaining about finding different prices and not seeming to know what the price actually should be.

amascuba:
I still think even $355 is too expensive for a wetsuit personally. I bout my 3mm scubapro everflex full body suit for $200.

This means nothing.

The OP didn't specify what suit he was shopping for. There's a big difference between a 3mm jumpsuit and what may have been a nicely sealed 2PC 7mm set.

Pete

I will pay more to get an item, like a mask or wetsuit where fit is important, from my LDS. They will spend the time making sure the fit is correct & they deserve to make a little extra $$ over the web based shops, where you have NO assistance.
A larger price item such as a regulator, I don't have a problem buying online if I can save some serious $$. But I cannot expect my LDS to give me a priority on service on something that he didn't sell.
The way I figure it, the LDS is always there & very helpfull. I don't want to give all my buisness to the "lowest bidder" & have the LDS go out of buisness.

It is the core argument surrounding any seller that can cut margins while maintaining profit. The LDS must market itself to its own core competencies: classes, service, local trips &/or knowledge. They can make more money by cutting their own margins on merchandise (ever hear of a loss leader?). How do you think Scuba Toys sells so much? Service (even if it is over the internet or phone) and personal attention. If the LDS takes advantage of the customer by overcharging for merchandise, they lose out on the extra $ that customer will spend in the long run. I'm not going to give a LDS a chance to redeem themselves if I figure out I got screwed on that first big purchase.

It amazes me that no one person shops at Wal-Mart, yet it is the largest retailer in the world.

Buyer beware.

Shop and compare.

Ask for a price match if you dare.

I don't understand why people can't see beyond LDS vs Internet, and free enterprise. The companies that compete will survive. I will always buy from my LDS if they have competitive prices and service, as well as the value of convenience. I will not buy from them if they cannot compete. Service and price are determined by the consumer. That is what makes America great!

I bought a new truck last year. I used 6 different dealerships and the internet.
I bought a new John Deere tractor a couple of weeks ago. I used the internet and 3 dealerships.

I saved $6,000 on the truck, and $2,000 on the tractor based on the original "low" quotes that respective salesmen gave.

Do I feel badly for the dealers? I have an extra $8000 in my pocket. I feel badly when I know that I have been ripped off!

This will enable me to do a couple of dive trips to some awesome places, which contributes to the health of the industry.

Its a balancing act as far as I m concerned. I have two LDS and I try to split sales between them. If either is WAY out of line I will go to the internet but I dont mind letting the LDS making a few bucks off me.

Some things should be selected in person , fins mask and suits are hard to get over the net.

My LDS has KILLER sales, but their regular prices are MSRP, but they'll always give you 10% off. If they're overstocked they'll give up to 25% (which is still more than leisurepro). When a model is discontinued you get 50-60% off and often that's cheaper than online and you get the benefits of buying it from your LDS (supporting them, instant gratification, fitment, servicing/tuning, etc.).

When I went to buy my 1st reg (delta III/CDX5) I told them it was a lot cheaper online and they said they'd price match, but they didn't seem all that happy about it. They weren't giving me the run around, but they were like, well you won't get a warranty, we won't service or tune it for free, and you won't have it today. I told them, I'm not diving for another two weeks, so instant gratification means nothing. I did tell them I wanted to buy it from them, but I just couldn't justify such a large price difference (we were talking around $200). They said, ok we'll pricematch but charge you the price for next day air since you get instant gratification.

That was fine, it ended up being a $17 delta from ground to next day; I did also have to pay tax (and on $250 that's about $17-18). So it cost me an additional $35-40 but I did take it back twice to get serviced and tuned and it didn't cost me anything.

I went their today with my g/f and they had 5mm tusa booties on clearance for $25; that was a good deal especially considering bootie fitment is different amongst brands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom