Lembeh - can you help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, Angelfish, for all the wonderful information you have furnished us about Froggies! As a result, I e-mailed Christiane last night, heard from her this morning --- such a long and careful letter --- that I immediately booked my flight on Singapore Airlines for the first 10 days in August of 2009! I had known about Froggies, but did not know about the liveaboard 4-day trip to Lembeh. This arrangement is ideal for having both Bunaken and Lembeh; both land-based and liveaboard experiences. Also thanks for the information about the food, for your preferences for fish, and Asian food are exactly mine also. We will take Christiane some nice Napa Valley wines!

Thanks, I'm happy to share what I consider to be a very good dive center and opportunity to do both Lembeh and Bunaken.
They have had a liveaboard for a long time, the first one was "The Clown", a basic boat, but fine for 4 days. Now there is the new boat "clown" with more space, air cond (private, you can stop it), more showers, a big sun deck with shade also...
The most important with Froggies is to book before, because there are not many bungalows and also because they need to plan the cruises.

I have some news about Froggies : new improvements : they are making hot showers in the bungalows and they are installing wifi.

I'm pleased for Christiane to read that you will bring her some wine, this is great for her!

Well, now, you just have to wait... a few months !

By the way, I'm very busy making my own web site, there will be pictures of the boat, bungalows, land and underwater. If you are interested, I will post a link (but not now, I still need time, I'm just starting !)

Hello Angelfish,
7 months later, I'm beginning to get excited about this trip to Bunaken and Lembeh! Do you happen to remember whether Christiane's preference is for white or for red wine? It looks like with customs regulations I can only bring in one bottle from our Napa Valley. I'm putting it into a "wine mummy" and packing it in my checked luggage.
You said you would be there this year. When are you planning to be there? I'm planning to arrive in Manado on Aug. 1st and stay until Aug. 12th.

From France or Singapore, I have never been bothered by regulations except the one about transport of liquids.
2 ways to take wine : in the checked luggage (careful if it breaks inside your diving equipment!), or you buy it in a duty free zone, in this way, the regulations about liquids do not apply... this is the solution I always use, and even with 2 or 3 bottle... never had any problem!
Red wine is always good... white will be appreciated too!
I will be there at the end of October 2009... sorry not to see you there, it would have been funny to meet each other there.

Hello Angelfish,
7 months later, I'm beginning to get excited about this trip to Bunaken and Lembeh! Do you happen to remember whether Christiane's preference is for white or for red wine? It looks like with customs regulations I can only bring in one bottle from our Napa Valley. I'm putting it into a "wine mummy" and packing it in my checked luggage.
You said you would be there this year. When are you planning to be there? I'm planning to arrive in Manado on Aug. 1st and stay until Aug. 12th.

From France or Singapore, I have never been bothered by regulations except the one about transport of liquids.
2 ways to take wine : in the checked luggage (careful if it breaks inside your diving equipment!), or you buy it in a duty free zone, in this way, the regulations about liquids do not apply... this is the solution I always use, and even with 2 or 3 bottle... never had any problem!
Red wine is always good... white will be appreciated too!
I will be there at the end of October 2009... sorry not to see you there, it would have been funny to meet each other there.

Hello,
I am going back to Froggies in November but I think Christiane is not running the center anymore. A friend went there not long ago and also had the same feeling that she was stepping back from managing the center to concentrate better on her work with preservation. From what I understand the center is now run by a couple of Dutch people. At least, it was not Christiane who answered my emails when I asked her about my future stay which is strange because normally she always does reply herself usually.

If you have more recent info, maybe she is back, which would be great because she is a fantastic woman.

Froggies was sold in late 2008, and I heard that the Owner had gone back home (Europe), as her health was failing, unfortunately.

While I never met her personally, I heard many interesting stories about her, and her love for fine cuisine, and mostly Kretek cigarettes. Sadly, it is this 2-pack per day habit which may have contributed to her health issues....

Perhaps the new Owners have made the renovations and improvements previously referred to? Staff-wise, I also heard there some significant changes, so but sure to check in advance as to who your Guides will be.

Have a great trip.
HB

Froggies was sold in late 2008, and I heard that the Owner had gone back home (Europe), as her health was failing, unfortunately.

While I never met her personally, I heard many interesting stories about her, and her love for fine cuisine, and mostly Kretek cigarettes. Sadly, it is this 2-pack per day habit which may have contributed to her health issues....

Perhaps the new Owners have made the renovations and improvements previously referred to? Staff-wise, I also heard there some significant changes, so but sure to check in advance as to who your Guides will be.

Have a great trip.
HB

Thanks for the info. I'll get in touch again with the new owners and check which guides are staying ! Guides are my critaria numero uno when choosing a dive center, so I better check ! That being said, it is sad if Christiane has to go back to Holland because of her health. I remember she was saying she would never want to go back living in Europe...

Harley,

why always these: I heard this and I heard that. Please write what you KNOW. If you do not: shut up please.

OK Rob, to satisfy your inferiority complex, here is what I KNOW:

1) Froggies was sold

2) The Owner has been in ill health, and has had a 2-pack per day cigarette habit for OVER a decade

3) Smoking is bad for your health (in case you didn't "know"?)

4) Better medical care for such a condition would be available back in Europe

I am not a Doctor, so I cannot say that I "know" she has lung cancer, emphysema, cardiac-vascular disease, nor any other illness, for that matter.

The thread was asking about the status of Froggies, it's recent renovations, and why the Owner was no longer replying to e-mails, so I offered a possible explanation.

So sorry if I offended your sensibilities, but the information was given directly and honestly. You also comment frequently on this Forum about the weather, and local dive conditions in your area (not always correctly) and you profess to "KNOW" in the empirical sense exactly what transpires at every juncture, so I suggest that you "SHUT UP"....unless you are GOD and KNOW exactly what will happen with the weather in advance (or you have some magical crystal ball)!

Happy trails,
HB

1) Froggies was sold

2) The Owner has been in ill health, and has had a 2-pack per day cigarette habit for OVER a decade

I am not a Doctor, so I cannot say that I "know" she has lung cancer, emphysema, cardiac-vascular disease, nor any other illness, for that matter.

The thread was asking about the status of Froggies, it's recent renovations, and why the Owner was no longer replying to e-mails, so I offered a possible explanation.

So sorry if I offended your sensibilities, but the information was given directly and honestly. You also comment frequently on this Forum about the weather, and local dive conditions in your area (not always correctly) and you profess to "KNOW" in the empirical sense exactly what transpires at every juncture, so I suggest that you "SHUT UP"....unless you are GOD and KNOW exactly what will happen with the weather in advance (or you have some magical crystal ball)!

Happy trails,
HB

Are you sure?
These are facts I know...

Yes, there is a couple of (Belgium I think, not sure) who will run daily the dive center... that does not mean that the dive center is sold! And the guides I know are still there ! Do you think that someone like Christiane who gave so much energy and time to the dive center would give up and leave it in someone's hand without taking care any more? Some of the guides and the staff are like her family now...
Yes, Christiane is planning to step back from managing the center to concentrate better on her work with preservation
Yes, Christiane smokes Kretek and likes good wine and good food! She dives too... So what?

But
No, Christiane is not sick or dying (no more than everybody! I would like to be still like her at her age).
Yes, Christiane is still answering mails (at least mines, the last one was 4 weeks ago to prepare my trip in November this year)
Yes, Christiane is still there and planning to stay in her house in Manado.
No, she has not gone back home in Europe in 2008!

I will write her with a link to this thread... I'm not sure if she will find all what people KNOW about her funny or stupid... ???

1) Froggies was sold

Happy trails,
HB

Are you sure?
These are facts I know...

Yes, there is a couple of (Belgium I think, not sure) who will run daily the dive center... that does not mean that the dive center is sold! And the guides I know are still there ! Do you think that someone like Christiane who gave so much energy and time to the dive center would give up and leave it in someone's hand without taking care any more? Some of the guides and the staff are like her family now...
Yes, Christiane is planning to step back from managing the center to concentrate better on her work with preservation
Yes, Christiane smokes Kretek and likes good wine and good food! She dives too... So what?

But
No, Christiane is not sick or dying (no more than everybody! I would like to be still like her at her age).
Yes, Christiane is still answering mails (at least mines, the last one was 4 weeks ago to prepare my trip in November this year)
Yes, Christiane is still there and planning to stay in her house in Manado.
No, she has not gone back home in Europe in 2008!

I will write her with a link to this thread... I'm not sure if she will find all what people KNOW about her funny or stupid... ???

+1 with Angelfish:
I've got an email from Christiane TODAY writing from Froggies, of course ! The Belgium couple does not seem to be around anymore, but Christiane and her dive guides team are...
All the rumours got me worried, but I should have known better and get real actual direct information...
This is of course excellent news for everybody who have been there before and plan to go back, like me.

Angelfish: I am going in November as well. So maybe we'll meet !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom