Liabilty insurance vs LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another genius who never should be in business - the liability policy on rental eq costs $1000 annually - he should make that up in 2 weeks of rentals

God Almighty, is almost EVERY LDS clueless about business, undercapitalized, and prone to making bad business decisions - not the ones I deal with, but god, look at the industry

You don't seriously think insurance companies inspect premises before they issue liability cover, do you? Maybe once in a blue moon, but the norm is that they don't. You get offered whatever cover they have at whatever price they charge and that's it. The bigger your business the lower the unit rate. The quality of your product has no bearing on the cost of insurance cover, at any rate up until the first claim.

Another genius who never should be in business - the liability policy on rental eq costs $1000 annually - he should make that up in 2 weeks of rentals

God Almighty, is almost EVERY LDS clueless about business, undercapitalized, and prone to making bad business decisions - not the ones I deal with, but god, look at the industry

I don't know who this is directed to, but do you really think you know so much more about this business than "almost EVERY" (your words) person who's invested a lot of money and gone into it. Your naivety is astounding.

And on what basis do you say "the liability policy on rental eq costs $1000 annually"? Where on earth do you get your "facts" from? And as to saying that the net profit from gear rentals should be $1000 in two weeks, well! That's $26000 per year net profit! There are many shops out there whose rental TURNOVER barely exceeds that, and that's in the USA. Have a guess what it is in the Caribbean.

You don't seriously think insurance companies inspect premises before they issue liability cover, do you? Maybe once in a blue moon, but the norm is that they don't. You get offered whatever cover they have at whatever price they charge and that's it. The bigger your business the lower the unit rate. The quality of your product has no bearing on the cost of insurance cover, at any rate up until the first claim.

I'm not sure where your shop is, but I live in NY State. My family has owned three businesses that generate consumer traffic and one that didn't (computer consulting) over the last 40+ years.

Although my consulting practice creates no more interest from the insurance company than filling out a comprehensive questionnaire, the "store-front" businesses were visited by the insurance company once a year and sometimes more often.

Terry

peterbj7,

You are correct. we are seeing that more and more that the insurance companies are using the field adjusters to evalute the property and liabilty exposure verses the underwriters. This inspection usually does not happen until there is a claim. Kind of the cart after the horse situation.

The insurance companies set the premiums based on a number of different qualifications. Namely, exposure( what is the possibilty of a loss occuiring and how much would the loss amount). history of past claims, credit level, length of time in business, location of said business. So that is correct, if his premium are high, there could a number of reason.

Froid

Ya know, not all policies cost the same for all people/businesses. Case in point; drive like an idiot, get tickets/acidents insurance goes up....I'm just saying, maybe there is a reason this guy can't afford insurance any more.

Down here in Belize there are three (I think) insurance companies, all offering similar products for vaguely similar premiums. The ones that are reputed to be better funded (important in a hurricane region, where claims come in thousands or not at all) and have a better payout record charge more, quite a lot more (at least 30% extra). The rates I have quoted are clearly approximate, but they are based on the lower end of the range.

Unless there is clearly something odd insurance companies here don't inspect premises (I'm not talking about buildings insurance, where clearly they do, but the businesses conducted within those buildings). Mandatory boat liability insurance (which nonetheless isn't universal - regulation here is poor) is based purely on the numbers of people the boat is declared as being able to carry. The boats aren't inspected, nor does anyone come along to see how the business operates.

I've never had business continuity cover here because it's too expensive, but that is based purely on turnover per audited accounts. Before there are any audited accounts the insurance company estimates what your turnover will be from general questions re the business and funding. As with all insurance, if there's a claim THEN they go through your books in detail and if they decide you were under-insured they abate the claim. If you were over-insured that's their gain, thank you very much!

The point I'm making is that the cost of insurance is almost unrelated to the way the business is run. Smaller businesses, and there are lots of reasons why a business might have low turnover, are proportionately harder hit by insurance costs.

The other point I'm making is that not everywhere in the world follows the US model. When you come to the Caribbean it may feel like your back yard, and you may feel that you bring with you all the benefits and protections that you're used to by being an American. Especially here in Belize where the language is English (well, a version of it anyway). NO, that's NOT the case.

Ya know, not all policies cost the same for all people/businesses. Case in point; drive like an idiot, get tickets/acidents insurance goes up....I'm just saying, maybe there is a reason this guy can't afford insurance any more.

That was my thought exactly, there is nothing in the OP that indicates this shop's history. It's possible he's got a claim history that does make doing those things real expensive to insure. Only doing training for people that buy a full package sounds a little fishy to me though...there is no liability in selling people gear? Doesn't the shop assemble the gear and test it? Sounds like possible liability to me.

Like others have said, I wouldn't leave anything at that shop, it's not long for this world. OW training seems to me to be the lifeblood of a shop. You've got to get new customers in the door and let's be honest, for most people the shop they start with is the shop they stick with, it's human nature. You stop bringing them in, you've stopped bringing new customers into your shop.

The other point I'm making is that not everywhere in the world follows the US model. When you come to the Caribbean it may feel like your back yard, and you may feel that you bring with you all the benefits and protections that you're used to by being an American. Especially here in Belize where the language is English (well, a version of it anyway). NO, that's NOT the case.

The OP was in West Virginia.

Terry

Today, I drove to the only dive shop close to my home to buy some silicone grease for my regulators. When I got there, the LDS owner informed me that he no longer carries silicone grease and uses only Christo-Lube. So, in order to keep his insurance cost down, he uses only Christo-Lube for everybody.
He asked me why I was looking for silicone grease and I told him it was so I can clean and lube my regulators. He asked me what kind of regs I have and I told him I have two Aqua Lung Aquarius and one Aqua Lung Conshelf XI. I expected him to argue that
He then asked me where I was getting the parts for my regs and I told him about VDH.

I was going to say there are plenty of part suppliers for the Conshelf Regulators I just had 3 firsts stages and 4 second stages completely overhauled and the newer part that is used for the Nitrox installed in the Stage 1's. I used Toms SCUBA shop in Austin TX. Christo lube is available on eBay in small 1/8 oz and larger sizes starting at around $10. So why not use eBay? I have two Conshelf overhaul kits I bought off eBay but decided since I didn't have the pressure tools to adjust them, maybe I should not do it, but now I am thinking next time to do it and let the dive shop make the pressure adjustments as needed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom