Light STA recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use 6061-T6 aluminum.
No need to concern yourself about edges, I hand finish all edges that come into contact with the webbing.
Something as custom made as you want would run about $65 + shipping.
My main concern is the 11" centers for the mounting studs on the STA. A two piece STA can give you more flexibility in your positioning. You really may want to consider that, plus you'd drop about another 4 ounces.

With a tank that size, you just don't have too many options with fixed location, multiple strap slots.

You'll incur about a 1/4" standoff.

… actually at the moment my ‘plate’ is as light as gets – positive. I am planning to use the STA with both TransPac and alum plate, and my TransPac is somewhat floaty. I had planned to get a SS plate but after getting these steel tanks realized there is no way I can with current weighing.

What comes to two-piece STA Kraken, I can’t really see the solution. The thing is, I need new slot locations more than anything else. On my Oxy-wing the closest holes (there are 4 alltogether) to attach STA are 9 1/2” apart. Looking at my numbers above, two-piece STA would have to be quite long to give me closer slots. I also worry that with TransPac two-piece would be a bit questionable in general. I’ll take keep my eyes open if there are options available.

A two piece STA is two separate pieces. You can put one at the lowest hole at the top of the plate and then move the lower one up and down in the lower slot of holes to position your tank strap where you want it.

the K

Back
Top Bottom