Lightest Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oxycheq just released a new BCD/BPW like this week which weighs in at 9.6 Ounces but you would need about 15 ft of webbing and a few D-rings to make it into a complete setup plus a Mach V wing.

I look at it like I still need the weight to sink so rather than looking for the lightest BCD juts get the one thats the least buoyant. I carry a 9lb stainless plate with a STA so the whole package is 14 LBS but I dont need to take lead if in a thinner wet suit.

My wife and I are also looking for travel BC's. I am down two the Mares Pesasus and Icon.

What do "normal" BCDs weigh in at anyways? I am 6 ft and my gear pushes the weight limits every time, of course my wife is half my size and has little issue with weight limits.

thanks D

My instructor for my basic class used a Scubapro Knighthawk, he was able to wrap the tank strap around the BC and make it pretty small. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but might want to look into it.

My wife and I are also looking for travel BC's. I am down two the Mares Pesasus and Icon.

What do "normal" BCDs weigh in at anyways? I am 6 ft and my gear pushes the weight limits every time, of course my wife is half my size and has little issue with weight limits.

thanks D

ScubaDiving.com did a recent review of Travel-friendly BCDs in their May 2008 issue. According to their research, the average BCD has a dry weight of 8.5 lbs. All of the BCs that they reviewed for the article had a dry weight below that average.
The Mares Pegasus has a dry weight of 7 lbs. 7 oz. and an inherent buoyancy of 2 lbs.
The Mares Icon has a dry weight of 7 lbs. 15 oz. and an inherent buoyancy of 2.9 lbs.
If you really want to go light, consider a spartan BP/W setup. it dries quickly, packs pretty flat, has no inherent buoyancy and can be adjusted to fit like a glove. It's also really nice not having to tote extra lead during a dive to counteract the inherent buoyancy of your BCD.
Considering what airlines are charging for the 1st and 2nd pieces of checked luggage, I wouldn't be surprised if scuba manufacturers started making even lighter travel BCDs. I'm quite happy with my current travel BCD: an aluminum backplate coupled with my current wing. And it only cost me about $100 to "convert" my cold water rig to a travel-friendly warm water one.

Last edited:
Just got an OxyCheq mini plate, it weighs 9 ounces plus straps and plastic buckles a bit more. I also got the OxyCheq Mach V 18 pound wing. The whole rig will roll up and stick in my pocket--almost, it is clearly the lightest and smallest BC that I have seen. No, it is not official DIR/Hog compliant, I left off the the two shoulder D rings until I could find some plastic ones and I used a lighter and more flexible webbing I had a bit off. I am also using plastic cambands which also save weight and are completely adequate for the job. I may--may---remove the power inflator and remove the LP inflator hose and just do oral inflation. That removes another pound or so of weight. N

Gotta bump this thread with a chime in for the Aquarius travel BC by Triple L looks to weigh about what my vintage Zeagle weighs.
Practically nothing.

The Cressi AquaLight is a good travel BC. Folds up nicely and is a pretty comfortable weight-integrated setup. I think it weighs right at 6-lbs in an XL, less for the smaller sizes. The only thing I don't like about it is lack of a rigid back support. But most "travel BC's" don't.

And I second the mention of the Oceanic Islander/Aeris Reef Rider. Very lightweight, very comfortable, very functional.

Zeagle scout.

A 2 lb aluminum backplate, with an Oxycheq wing, and with 15 ft of webbing, and 4 D-rings, together with a belt buckle, would be the lightest. And also the strongest, for the weight.

I myself prefer however a 6 lb steel plate, because it gives me better trim, and less weight on my belt.

I have an aluminum backplate and 30# wing as well. I think this has much less nylon material than most light weight bc's and packs fairly small. I use a couple of pocket weight holders on the straps to use lead in to get it back up to steel plate weight and the trim I like.

Back
Top Bottom