Lightest Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got an OxyCheq mini plate, it weighs 9 ounces plus straps and plastic buckles a bit more. I also got the OxyCheq Mach V 18 pound wing. The whole rig will roll up and stick in my pocket--almost, it is clearly the lightest and smallest BC that I have seen. No, it is not official DIR/Hog compliant, I left off the the two shoulder D rings until I could find some plastic ones and I used a lighter and more flexible webbing I had a bit off. I am also using plastic cambands which also save weight and are completely adequate for the job. I may--may---remove the power inflator and remove the LP inflator hose and just do oral inflation. That removes another pound or so of weight. N

Awesome minimalization. What kind of fins do you travel with? I've yet to get pocket fins as I like having boots for shore dives. My check on bag is about 44#s with cloths and dive gear without computer, mask and camera.

For light-weight fins - try a pair of Force Fins sized to fit a pair of 2 mm short booties (I use size L fins with a size 10 Akona bootie). The booties have enough of a sole so there is no problem with shore entry and the Force Fins are short and light for travel (work good too - just look different). Get the bungie strap for the Force Fins - makes them easier to put on and take off.

Awesome minimalization. What kind of fins do you travel with? I've yet to get pocket fins as I like having boots for shore dives. My check on bag is about 44#s with cloths and dive gear without computer, mask and camera.

I have an ultra cheap set of stiff fullfoot snorkel fins for travel. $19. No idea what brand they are but they have "Super S" in sparkly letters on the blade. :D They're a little narrower and a little longer than my size L Jets. They weight about half as much. Maybe less. Plus you don't need to carry the booties. Probably saves 4-5lbs.

They are a little floppy and wouldn't have the backbone to push someone really big (I'm 5-10 and 185) or not streamlined and trimmed out. Not sure they would be my choice in a 3 knot current either. I've done some relatively tight swim throughs in them and they have good control. They're not Jets but they're not bad.

They are ideal for my travel rig, which is very similar to what Nemrod described above except for the plastic hardware. (can you still call it "hardware" if it's plastic?) Fullfoots may not be an option if you are shore diving, however, which you said you do. Boat diving, no problem!

I have gotten good use out of a SeaQuest Passport travel BC. Mine is a medium and weighs 5.73 lbs. ( 2.59 kg) with a SeaQuest Air Source attached. It even has an integral mesh bag for packing.

I know the Zeagle Scouts are very light also. The older ones at least are even lighter than the Passport. The new ones look excellent and well worth consideration.

But my current Travel BC is da bomb! Deep Sea Supply Kydex backplate with their 17 lb, (lift), TTW-17 Tropical Travel Wing, a one piece "Hog" harness and a couple of weight pockets, weighing at at 3.08 lbs. (1.4 kg.) It packs up incredibly tight, is very streamlined in the water and dives like a dream! It is actually a little negative in it's inherent buoyancy. If I needed more lift I could just add a larger wing.

I feel noticeably less drag in the water because this setup is so lean and streamlined.

I haven't seen the new Oxycheq rig yet, but it sounds interesting. I am so happy with the way my DSS rig dives though I probably won't change it.

This may not be the best solution for everyone, but it works great for me.

-Thomjinx

I know this is a late entery on this thread, but the seaquest balance is barely heavier than the "travel" BC's. Many of the travel BC's were flimsy and lacked enough d rings.

Thats just my opinion now that we bought a Balance for me and a Pearly for the wife.

thanks

You might want to check out the NEW Zeagle Express Tech Travel BC. It looks to compete with the OxyCheq, but a friendlier price. Scuba Toys has them for $248. That is complete ready to dive with a 24 lb bladder. Comes with 2 tank bands that are velcro/webbing and plastic cam buckles, inflator, quick connect hose to regulator, and 2 inch webbing with a plastic buckle. The badder is removable with no tools, which makes for an even more compact profile.

Another vote for the Cressi Aqualite - mine has about 120 dives on it now in 5 years or so, all in tropical water, it is still as good as new (I guess it better should be). I am 6'2 and about 190 lbs, it is a M/L size and it just works great. Dive without wetsuit here in Asian waters, I put 4.5 lbs standard lead weights in each side pocket, no weight belt. Dives like a charm with great bouyancy control. Love the diving with it, and its comfi too.

It is light, but what I find to most important for travelling -- how small can I make the package. I prefer to get everything in a carry-on bag as to avoid all kinds of potential fuss with lost luggage / endless waiting, so the smaller it packs the better. For this the Aqualite is okayish but not brilliant. Guess it is the same with all these travel BCs....there;s some padding in the back you will end up using as the minimum footprint of your BC folded package. I need to check a wing one day whether I can make it truly small and flat; my Aqualite is not.

Hope this helps a bit, cheers Arie

A normal alu bp with DR Travel wing n hog harness workes for me..weighs incredibly light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom