Lionfish/help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dorsal spines are long and would easily slide between the links.

Got numbers 12 and 13 today.

.....still wondering why the effort is being made to 'capture' lionfish....interrogation or prisoner exchange or what ???
I was there in May and the DM's are capturing and killing. Alot of the DM's are eating them ... so they are not "just capturing" them ....

A lot of the customers are eating them, too, and feeding them to anemones makes a great horror movie!
Got #14 today on San Juan.

On Wednesday I passed a really big one at Punta Sur Sur that would feed a whole family. That was about 90 feet deep on one of the first swim throughs. I didn't have a spear and my very long and pointy titanium dive knife was not long enough to get past his spines. Tomorrow Memo and I are going back to the same cave to take him out with appropriate gear and see if we can't get a fish feed at the Villa. From what I know once you burn off the spines there is no danger of stings and the meat is very tasty. Much of this is a learning process and it may be that the best control predator is hungry divers!

I'll try to report on the delicious meals we expect.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave,
You can just clip off the spines with shears, and you're good to go.

My plate's ready.

Sally,

Up your kill count by getting in the water and going north from the villa. Saw three last night between the villa and opening to the marina.

Darrin

Up to 18. David and I were on the third dive today. Score: David 3, Sallye 2, Lionfish nada. Got two this morning - so did Javier, so it was a good day for the reef and a bad day for pez leon.

Will have to drag my gear off the boat and go hunting... Plastic bag sized or sling sized?

Somewhere on here I saw a video of a guy in NC that caught a bunch of lionfish and when he surfaced he dropped them into a full ice chest of icy water. By the time they got back to the marina he could handle them without fear of getting stung, something to do with the freezing that negated the venom. I remember seeing him drag the spines on his ungloved hand... Seems like a good way to keep them fresh while in turn removing the risk of the chef getting stung.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=tMBE7zWZDgk&feature=related

Back
Top Bottom