Little Cayman/Cayman Brac dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course the Brac and Grand are alternatives and have their own attractions, but if the idea is to try Little Cayman they're not really substitutes. Have you checked if Conch Club Condos on LC has availability for your dates? I believe you could still get a meal plan at LCBR and while not as convenient as staying there, it's a short walk down the beach or road. And of course Conch Club Divers is right there (and probably you will have fewer people on the same size boat as you would with Reef Divers at LCBR.)

So I'd expect fewer shore diving sites, but what's the difference? Longer swim outs? Worse currents?

Richard.

One of the differences I think wasn't mentioned is that the wall starts much shallower in the Bloody Bay area, as shallow as 20ft, which is nice for long dives and safety stops spent on reef rather than up in the water column. Sites on Brac generally start deeper.

One of the differences I think wasn't mentioned is that the wall starts much shallower in the Bloody Bay area, as shallow as 20ft, which is nice for long dives and safety stops spent on reef rather than up in the water column. Sites on Brac generally start deeper.

This definitely true, BB has a spot 20 ft. whereas on the Brac it is 40 to 60 range and even around 90 at Bus Stop wall on the northside. There are some nice areas on the south side of the Brac that have a 50 to 60 ft range where the wall drops away to lala-land. One of the things I have noticed is that there seem to be more red sponges off Little Cayman than any other.

Yeah, for being so close together and similar in size, it is kind of amazing how the two islands have some distinctly different things underwater. What I have noticed is that Brac seems to have quite a few more morays. Conch Club is a good option if they area available, as it would be very similar to using LCBR. The dive operation works from the same dock and is very similar in boat/crew operation. You can probably also get a meal plan through LCBR and eat meals there. You would just have the slight inconvenience of either walking or being driven to and from the dock to get to your room.

Conch Club Divers may only offer 2 dives but you can always go out with Reef Divers in the afternoon

I've also seen them move gear from the Conch Club boat to Reef divers for night dives.

I am pretty sure that Conch Club Divers is owned by the same folks that run Reef Divers; or if it isn't direct, there is at least a very cozy business relationship. They have the same kind of boats, use the same docks, fill air and nitrox tanks with the same fill stations, etc. They just leave the dock 20-30 minutes earlier so they are not in the way when Reef Divers is loading up their divers. They will put CCD folks on Reef Divers boats if they don't have enough going out to make the trip worth it and RD has space available.

Cayman Islands Cruising Guide If you look at a depth map of Brac, the wall at the south east end of Brac actually starts shallower than Bloody Bay and is closer to shore. Go to the end of the road, jump in and the wall starts right off shore. It's a mini wall of sorts, but head east a bit and it drops straight down, awesome. Rough weather closes it out, but on calm days, it is the best dive in Caymans. I would go to any of the Caymans in March or February. Cheers

All these strawberry sponges were taken off Brac---a couple weeks ago......click link(oooops---ERROR--see EDIT below)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157648669106079/

EDIT:---ERROR---ERROR...just checked my SD card & all those pics from Day 2 are from LITTLE CAYMAN ie that was the day(day 2) we went across to LC & dove Bloody Bay Wall......My BAD.........carryon everyone...........I just changed the title of the album to 'LITTLE CAYMAN diving from Brac'.....Sorry for the misinformation........

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom