Little Cayman/Cayman Brac dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not seeing where you think that map is showing the main wall shallower than LC? I see mini wall depths of 16 shown in a few places, but the outer main wall is generally in 50-60' of water on Brac. Little Cayman has several mini-walls that start well shallower than 20' too...so does Roatan for that matter. What is unique to LC is having the main wall top at 15-20' and the vertical drop of several hundred or a thousand feet. On the Brac, the shallowest I can remember the main wall edge being was around 40-50' on the north side of the west end. I don't say that to take away from the east end diving on Brac, it is indeed excellent, and it is a shame that the dive operators don't head that way more often..

Head east of end of road about 100 yards and it goes from about 15- 20 feet to abyss, maybe 100 feet out. I can usually get 2 days a trip at this spot. Not much attached to wall like LC, but there seems to be more of the schooling fish like yellowfin tuna, and Bigeye jacks. No boats, few to no divers and you can't beat the scenery when you surface. Plus you get to climb over the rocks for extra adventure. I think they put the picture of this dive spot on the 1 dollar bill it's so good.

There is more to Brac than the Tibbet's. Safe diving

Head east of end of road about 100 yards and it goes from about 15- 20 feet to abyss, maybe 100 feet out. I can usually get 2 days a trip at this spot.

Can you be a little more specific with the directions for someone that has never ben to CB?

Thanks

Can you be a little more specific with the directions for someone that has never ben to CB?

Thanks
South Road, Head all the way east to Great Cave and park at turnaround. It's the end of the island. Walk east along shore and there will be a small cut in Iron Shore. Easy in and out, it has natural, small steps into water. Place your flag so you can see it from the sea, everything looks the same looking in. Small swells no problem, but stay away when it gets to the head high range, it's a rough go. Have fun, it is the clearest water in the Cayman's. Be patient, it's calm about 1 out of 5 days and is worth the wait. Cheers

It can really rough in that area, but I've dove there and it is clear water, there can be a dangerous current too when you get to an end of any island.

I am pretty sure that Conch Club Divers is owned by the same folks that run Reef Divers; or if it isn't direct, there is at least a very cozy business relationship. They have the same kind of boats, use the same docks, fill air and nitrox tanks with the same fill stations, etc. They just leave the dock 20-30 minutes earlier so they are not in the way when Reef Divers is loading up their divers. They will put CCD folks on Reef Divers boats if they don't have enough going out to make the trip worth it and RD has space available.

The owners of the two operations are different and ownership is not related.

They have worked together well for a number of years.

Caymaniac is right,there usually is some current, sometimes going east depending on direction of swell the days before. I like to see the marine forecast to say winds calm and waves 1-3 feet.

I have also been warned that area can get down currents after days of bigger swells, but haven't seen it yet... This info came from a couple of free divers who catch huge lobster in that area. Here is a video of how to handle the "death " current diving knowledge : what to do when driven by the strong down current - YouTube Cheers

We go to Grand Cayman twice a year, but a few years ago, decided to do Little Cayman. We stayed at the Southern Cross Club and I couldn't recommend it higher. The most relaxing, laid back diving vacation I've ever been on. Fantastic resort and staff.

No signature

We go to Grand Cayman twice a year, but a few years ago, decided to do Little Cayman. We stayed at the Southern Cross Club and I couldn't recommend it higher. The most relaxing, laid back diving vacation I've ever been on. Fantastic resort and staff.

No signature

SCC looks great, a significant premium over LCBR with 3 dives per day, but perhaps worth it. I'd certainly like to see

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom