Little River Springs now charging for entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Little River entrance fee should be based on a percentage of street value of the weed which one intends to smoke during their visit.

I have been once after the fee was put in place. Didn't seem to thin the crowd at all.

I can't help but see $5 day passes and $125 annual passes as a privatization of public land - and quite honestly pricing poor people out of recreation. Access to green space is a major determinant of health outcomes and at least in this part of the world - we are doing everything we can to increase green space and recreational opportunities for poor and marginalized people.
Florida stopped giving a sh-t about poor people a few years ago (or more) Now our government just ships them to other states. I'll shut up cause I don't want to be political. But I only wish the people that ran our state cared more about our natural resources and the residetns than about themselves or their own personal political aspirations.

Florida stopped giving a sh-t about poor people a few years ago (or more)
Remember when the Governor decided to close 1/3 of all State Parks to save money??? Whoa! That really backfired on him.

Remember when the Governor decided to close 1/3 of all State Parks to save money??? Whoa! That really backfired on him.

SB 1846 and HB 1239, in 2011. The state was going to let Jack Nicholas build golf courses in state parks.

It got killed. But Gary Nicholas is still on the FWC board of directors.

Florida stopped giving a sh-t about poor people a few years ago (or more) Now our government just ships them to other states. I'll shut up cause I don't want to be political. But I only wish the people that ran our state cared more about our natural resources and the residetns than about themselves or their own personal political aspirations.
I know that. Was just contrasting a $125 annual County park pass with the cost to park (actual entry is FREE) at nearly every outdoor recreation site in my entire state for a year.

I know that. Was just contrasting a $125 annual County park pass with the cost to park (actual entry is FREE) at nearly every outdoor recreation site in my entire state for a year.

Little River has had a large number of problems over the last decade. I remember walking on the trailhead out to the overlook on the Suwannee bright and early one morning and finding used needles and syringes all over the place. I'm hopeful the new system will help clean it up.

I hear what you're saying about costs, FWIW an annual recreational use pass for a family ("everyone in the car") for all of the state parks is $120. Yes, it's more than your location, but I bet costs of maintaining the parks system in Washington are offset by income/other taxes that we don't collect in Florida. It's not an ideal situation, like Richard, I don't want to get too political on this thread so I'll tap out.

I wasn't saying other wise, I am allowed to voice my opinion am I not?

I'm not arguing against the changes, my argument is that they would probably get more money if they lowered the price. I'll probably go there 5-10 times a year, so at $125 the day rate makes more sense to me.

Let me re-state. In my opinion, if you don't like it, vote with your wallet and don't buy one. Am I not allowed to voice my opinion too?

Cave divers tend to be some of the most amusing people. They'll spend thousands and thousands of dollars on equipment and training, travel, gas, lodging, fills, etc but then complain about the cost of an annual pass that costs less than a dinner for two at a nice restaurant or a boat ride for a single dive day.

As the saying goes, copper wire was invented by two cave divers fighting over a penny.

$5? Is that all? Shoot, it just means you will have to get a 6 pack of PBR instead of a 12 pack.

$5? Is that all? Shoot, it just means you will have to get a 6 pack of PBR instead of a 12 pack.

PBR is fancy hipster drink. Natty light is the way the locals imbibe.

Cave divers tend to be some of the most amusing people. They'll spend thousands and thousands of dollars on equipment and training, travel, gas, lodging, fills, etc but then complain about the cost of an annual pass that costs less than a dinner for two at a nice restaurant or a boat ride for a single dive day.

I am also a quarter Jewish so that doesn't help either.

I just think that they would make more money that way, and in a way that is reliable income. Like I mentioned I know that I don't get my value out of the state park pass (I did 8 diving days at state parks and visited a couple of parks outside of diving) but at $60 it is easy to justify.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom