Live in S. Fl? Why don't you move? The pros and cons...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great replies. Thanks.

Just to add info... My wife & I are selling our house right now, moving into something CHEAP and piling away the cash for 5 years. We figure to then move over and buy a boat cash (around 100k) to live on. I mention this because it changes things when it comes to hurricane prep.

Great replies. Thanks.

Just to add info... My wife & I are selling our house right now, moving into something CHEAP and piling away the cash for 5 years. We figure to then move over and buy a boat cash (around 100k) to live on. I mention this because it changes things when it comes to hurricane prep.

Don't know what you're looking for in a boat but they are cheaper than that right now. Especially if you are handy. Saw a 35 foot houseboat in a marina on Stock Island (basically a house on a barge) for $35k, and that included the slip purchase of $19k.

Well, I am 16 years out from my top out retirement of 28 years. My kids will be in college and house paid off. I am all about planning for the move to Florida. My wife and I keep talking about if we won the lotto wee would be there now. I am in the same boat as Orlando Eric. 12 yrs in and a sgt. A lot between me and layoffs. Although we just took a 2% pay cut. I am looking at Jupiter. If my calculations are right about 2hrs from Key Largo and 2hrs from Orlando. My wife does not dive but loves the beach. As do I. I am definetly going to check with my tax guy to see if I should look for real estate now. I am planning my annual trip to Key Largo so Florida is even more on my mind. No snow to deal with- man I can't wait.

Love the weather...especially the hot humid summer weather! Love all the outdoor activities. The bugs are really not bad at all, less bothersome than mosquitoes were up north. Here in northern Palm Beach, the only really annoying things are (most of) the NY/NJ crowd.

I live west of Debby and Dennis S, and this far inland (8 miles) the tourists thin out. Very few venture this far inland, while Broward County's edge of western development is another 15 miles west. I love where I live. It is close to everything,- Keys, Jupiter and Naples are all under 2 hrs away. Orlando, and Venice Beach (shark tooth diving) are both 3 hrs away. Easy to do as a day trip. Broward has an excellent park system and entrance fees are cheap. If you have dogs, there are lots of dog friendly parks and activities for Fido.

My home owners insurance is lower than those on the coast, as is my auto insurance. Both or astronomical compared to other places in the country. It's the price I pay for not having to shovel snow. NO state tax, thanks to tourism. The summers are hot. Best time of year is between Easter and 4th of July, when the snow birds have left, the winds have calmed down, waters warmed, and the heat and humidity haven't gotten everybody in a foul mood yet. I wish those that don't like the heat would move back north.

When it does rain, it rarely lasts more than a couple days. We are used to seeing the sun.
Yeah, hurricanes can be a pain. Wilma left me 15 days without power and a couple months without home phone service. Drat. Like others have said, prepare. Duh. Make sure your house is strong and secure. It doesn't matter whether you live on the coast or not, they come from all directions, and the leading quadrant is what does the most damage (though it may not be the strongest).

Now is a great time to buy. Broward, Palm Beach and Miami had over 100,000 foreclosures last year. We got hit hard. But we will bounce back.

The bad? People who don't appreciate where they live and complain about it. Drivers are horrible. This is called South New York for a reason, and the last American leaving Miami, please bring the flag.

As a Christian, there are some really good churches down here. Also the Jewish population is huge. Both are working together to bring peace to all.

I had an opportunity about 7 years ago to move anywhere in the country I wanted. I couldn't think of any other place I would rather be.

Well, I am 16 years out from my top out retirement of 28 years. My kids will be in college and house paid off. I am all about planning for the move to Florida. My wife and I keep talking about if we won the lotto wee would be there now. I am in the same boat as Orlando Eric. 12 yrs in and a sgt. A lot between me and layoffs. Although we just took a 2% pay cut. I am looking at Jupiter. If my calculations are right about 2hrs from Key Largo and 2hrs from Orlando. My wife does not dive but loves the beach. As do I. I am definetly going to check with my tax guy to see if I should look for real estate now. I am planning my annual trip to Key Largo so Florida is even more on my mind. No snow to deal with- man I can't wait.

You are just about right on your travel times to Orlando and Key Largo.... maybe add 15 minutes for some amount of traffic (I live in the Jupiter area). While real estate prices may drop a little more, the Case Shiller index suggests we are near the bottom, so now would not be a bad time to buy, imho

Things are great here, except the drivers.

If my calculations are right about 2hrs from Key Largo.
Two hours 45 minutes but if you're retired, who cares?

Rick,
If you are a diver it's paradis. Just got back from Key largo a few hours ago. Jupiter south is the best diving in the CONUS by a country mile. Come on down!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom