Liveaboard hints and tips please??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My advice is similar to most above.

I used to be a magnet for ear infections, but I now use swim ear and take 600-800 mg of Advil per day. I haven't had a ear infection since.

Most importantly, have fun.

I did not know that Advil (anti inflammatory) would help prevent an ear infection, neat...

I did not know that Advil (anti inflammatory) would help prevent an ear infection, neat...
The ear beer should help prevent ear infections. I don't think Advil will, though I find it can help reduce general inflamation/irritation (like you'd expect) which might be helpful for some folks..

>>>>>>If your gear is getting close to being due for a servicing, take it in beforehand and get it done. You'll be doing a lot of diving in one week. It would be nice to not have to worry about your gear<<<<<<
Then make sure you get at least a pool dive in with it before you go, so you can test it and make sure it works. I've had regs right back from service that had issues. You don't want to find out on your liveaboard that a tech forgot an o-ring, or the issue that was "fixed" was not.

It won't.

Thanks all - this is great advice. I'm going on a reef clean-up week in the Northern Red Sea aboard the Blue Fin - v excited now :-D
You're flying to the Red Sea to pick up garbage for a week? And you're excited about the prospect? You are a better person than me. :D

Twice the cash. This can fix some equipment problems if they pop up, if the boat has on-board rental gear. Also good for souvenirs, and in the event you have a "land day" at one end or the other, makes splitting the check with your fellow guests easier.

Half the clothes (except for swimsuits).

A pair of sandals is actually nice to have - your feet can get pretty "soft" and the deck of the boat may or may not be pleasant on bare feet.

iPod, DVD's for the laptop, paperbacks, etc for when you get tired of hearing some other random guest telling the same annoying story for the 5th time.

Duct tape! For gear, and even blistered feet in a pinch.

More exposure protection than you think you need for the water temp. You'll get colder as the week goes on and the dive count grows.

Powdered drink mix that you know you like in the event that the boat's selections aren't to your taste.

Great thread for someone that's never been on a liveabord but would like to to. THANKS guys!

There's some great advice here, but unless I missed it take some sea sickness medicine with you. I've done 4 liveaboards and there's always been at least one person who's gotten seasick. Better to have it with you and not use it then to need it and not have any. I always carry some though I've yet to use it but I eventually will.

Liveaboard crews in remote places will appreciate paperbacks and dvds of recently released movies that you leave behind. I left season 6 of CSI on an Aggressor and it was a huge hit with the crew. The more luxurious boats have anticipated most of your needs, so many of the suggestions above, while good, will not apply. Power strips, clothespins, coffee cups, and storage bins will all be supplied. I forgot my toothbrush once and the boat had one for me--that would have been a long week otherwise. I have never been on a liveaboard that didn't have seasickness medication, but I bring my own--you really want to start taking it before you set foot on the boat if you are likely to be affected. I will iterate the suggestion to bring enough bathing suits. Otherwise, bring your normal toiletries and gear, but be extra vigilant about bringing everything you need, because the gift shop is usually not an option.

. And like he said Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate

Yes this is great advice.... you can't pump enough fluids in you when diving this much.

There's some great advice here, but unless I missed it take some sea sickness medicine with you. I've done 4 liveaboards and there's always been at least one person who's gotten seasick. .

I'd suggest for anyone who gets sea-sick to start taking the medicine the day before you get on the boat. get it into your system and let it start working.

If you get sea-sick, then usually it's too late for the medicine to have the effect you need on a quick recovery.

Power strips, clothespins, coffee cups, and storage bins will all be supplied.

That all differs per boat. I've been on boats that have some of this stuff but most of the ones I've been on don't. Or they have one power strip for 20 people to share charging camera batteries and their coffee cups aren't insulated for example.

As for clothespins, the regular wooden ones won't really work unless it's a t-shirt and they still can blow away. get the heavy duty "alligator clips" for throwing something over the rail and clipping it back to itself (and not worry about loosing the item).
The first trip I was on I didn't have any and saw others that did... now I pack them every trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom