Liveaboard hints and tips please??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That all differs per boat. I've been on boats that have some of this stuff but most of the ones I've been on don't. Or they have one power strip for 20 people to share charging camera batteries and their coffee cups aren't insulated for example.

As for clothespins, the regular wooden ones won't really work unless it's a t-shirt and they still can blow away. get the heavy duty "alligator clips" for throwing something over the rail and clipping it back to itself (and not worry about loosing the item).
The first trip I was on I didn't have any and saw others that did... now I pack them every trip.
Yes, it differs by boat. That's why I qualified my remarks by saying, "The more luxurious boats":

The more luxurious boats have anticipated most of your needs, so many of the suggestions above, while good, will not apply.
Again, as I stated earlier, you make many good suggestions, but they might not apply, depending on the boat. And if you are lugging camera and dive gear, as I do, every pound and every square inch counts.

Last edited:
If your gear is getting close to being due for a servicing, take it in beforehand and get it done. You'll be doing a lot of diving in one week. It would be nice to not have to worry about your gear.

The few problems I've had with my equipment happened right after service. I always check the functioning of all my gear right after servivce and before any trip. This might be particularly important for a liveaboard as service and/or parts may not be available. I'd rather be able to use my own gear than switching to rental equipment.

Good diving, Craig

Sorry for the redundant post, I initially missed the excellent post by Merxlin

Last edited:
As previuosly mentioned, most of the time I've had gear malfunctions it was right after being serviced. D'oooh!

I also recommend having TWO dive computers when doing a liveaboard trip because if your one and ONLY dive computer malfunctions you should sit out a day to reestablish baselines and then dive the charts (YUCK!!!!!!) or borrow/rent a dive computer that you're not familiar with.

I know, I know, I'm a male, and guys tend to get by with less clothes ...

On the last 12 day LOB, I had two synthetic quick-dry T-shirts, two pairs of nylon shorts (for on board, not diving), two swim suits (black spandex type), and a pair of Crocs that went under the bunk until the trip was over. That and toothbrush, toothpaste, a paperback, and dive gear. Obviously we were in the tropics, but I had everything I really needed for the trip.

And take a large dose of patience, consideration, and good humor! :wink:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom