Lobster Diving Gear Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been drawn to retractors since I don't like the limited movement, but it could work for the gauge I'd guess. Some friends like them for their light too. For daytime I just wear the light on a wrist lanyard since in SoCal shining the light in holes is a major part of the hunt. If I need both hands and the light might interfere, I just put it down. It's often a bit dark and low contrast, and the narrow beam lights (like UK SL4/SL6) can light up the bug's antenna from a distance so it speeds up the hunt to be able to search without going right up to a hole. At night I like a broad beam for field of view, and mount the gauge in front of the lens - very quick to use. It's just not possible to hold the bug, light and gauge all by hand.

For bags, handles are a must and the ones with smooth nylon for the top of the bag prevent some of the snagging of mesh on spines that can make it hard to get the bug safely stashed.

I want to improve my gear configuration and open to any suggestions. Lights are a necessary tool and methods of their use should be a discussion . I have been duct tapping my primary light on the forearm so to free the hand . I use a sartec D 6600 and will make a foam pad to conform to the light and foreman with velcro straps . My computer is a hassle when you need to press a button and view for 3 seconds or shine your primary light to read information . I was uncomfortable the last night dive going to surface with to many tasks to perform like operating manual dump , holding anchor line , shining light to read information with a full game bag , a reel , a lift bag and low visibility .

Your light set up is pretty good . I would like to show you perhaps another set up you might not be familiar. It is great for looking and grabbing lobster. It is the only hands free BCD dive light mount on the market that will allow you to shine in areas where a head light might not allow you to and also you will not have to worry about blinding your dive buddy when turning to look for him/her. Check out this how to video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoN2qzxeGv8

I think you will surprised on how great it works!

Okay, so this will be my first lobster season!

I'm trying to plan how i will organize my gear

I was thinking of mounting an intova light on my right D ring and a lobster gauge on a retract connected to the left D ring- That way I can drop both to wrangle a monster and not lose any gear!

Don't know which bag ill get or where to place it.

How do you organize your gear while lobstering?
I was going to mention not to forget a dive knife of some kind. Especially if you want to hit the jetties or places that are prevalent to nets or fishing lines. I was out last monday and was hooked by several lines , the knife is a must in my view, this will also be good to help your dive buddy as well. Make sure to always ensure your dive buddy is close by and you are all diving safe and checking your main equipment. A diver has just died Wednesday at the same location I was diving (Mission Bay , San Diego CA) just two days after I went out there. Not sure exactly what occurred but the report says it happened when he was entering the water before his dive buddy and he had some type of equipment problems. I don't want to speculate on what happened but I do want to emphasize for everyone to be very care full out there, check your gear, do a proper check of your dive buddy's gear, and try and stay together in order to assist on another. This is the 4th fatality since the opening of lobster season in CA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom