Local brand preference for AL80 stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Figured I'd ask here to get the local perspective... I'm continuing to prepare for taking GUE Rec3 in the coming months, and it looks like a lot of the best Rec3 diving will require an AL80 stage/deco bottle rather than an AL40 deco bottle.

I know that most people around here prefer the Luxfer (as opposed to the Catalina) for the AL40. Is the same thing true for the AL80 as well?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Figured I'd ask here to get the local perspective... I'm continuing to prepare for taking GUE Rec3 in the coming months, and it looks like a lot of the best Rec3 diving will require an AL80 stage/deco bottle rather than an AL40 deco bottle.

I know that most people around here prefer the Luxfer (as opposed to the Catalina) for the AL40. Is the same thing true for the AL80 as well?

Thanks!

generally speaking, yes.

Rob, is the preference for Luxfer 80s over Catalinas for trim reasons? The buoyancy characteristics seem pretty close (the Catalina number for 500 PSI seems suspect):

Maker/Full/500 PSI/Empty

Luxfer -1.4/+3.4/+4.4

Catalina -1.6/+2.8/+4.1

Guy

Catalinas are considered "butt heavy."

I dive both and can't tell a difference. I know others who swear that they can. To each their own, but I know if you're on a budget, Cats generally come cheaper, and you don't have to worry about getting a pre-'88 wind chime/bomb; ALL Cats are made from the "good" alloy.

I ordered a Luxfer 40 but a Catalina 40 arrived instead. I haven't notice it being too butt heavy, I was concerned that it might be. I specified brushed aluminum rather than a painted tank, so I ended up with the Catalina instead of the Luxfer.

I just bought a new Catalina AL40 for R3, haven't had a chance to dive with it yet. Maybe at the science camp if my regs are ready by today.

Where are you all getting the Luxfers from? Every place I've looked only offers Catalinas.

I'm not sure if you want to buy local, but both Dive Right In SCUBA and Dive Gear Express have luxfer tanks.

Where are you all getting the Luxfers from? Every place I've looked only offers Catalinas.

XS Scuba just brought them back out this year, and they say they are the exclusive distributor for Luxfor tanks. Any shop which is an XS Scuba dealer can get them for you. FWIW, the cost on Luxfor's is $5 above the cost on Catalina's.

scubatoys should have some delivered next week if they are i'll get 40 and 80 , and sleep in a dog house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom