Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friend of a friend told me that's why Chad & Clara sold Wet Wendy's & Thirsty Cougar and got the hell out. They were threatened with violence to their kids. Personally I've never felt threatened as a visiting tourist, but it's probably a whole different ball game when you live here & have something to lose.

The Cozumel municipal (city) government has no say in choosing the head of the municipal police; by law, the Mexican military tells the municipal president who it will be and the municipal president has no choice in the matter. The previous head of the municipal police was also a military officer appointed to the municipal position by the military and later removed by the military, just as this new one was and will be.

I don't believe any of the guys assassinated this year saw anything coming either until it was too late. It is just a question of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, whether you are the target or just collateral damage. Several of these shootings were in the Centro area, within a block of the Malecon and not "far off the beaten path" at all.
Don't forget there was shooting at Hemingways too awhile back. They missed their target but got him later. One night a few years ago I heard automatic gunfire just a few blocks from my house. Someone was shooting up a cops home....Cop apparently had someones product. Its definately not the sleepy town it used to be.

Local news outlets on the island are reporting a new wave of rental car break-ins. The rental agencies say the cars are being targeted by thieves because the cars are clearly identified as rentals and they are warning their customers (once again) never to leave anything in the car they don't want to be stolen. Besides that, a gang of kids is stealing rental car license plates and then ransoming them back to tourists.

I have heard of other Mexican tourists parking their private cars on the east side of the island recently and when they return from the beach they find it missing. Later, they get a call demanding cash to find out where the thieves left the car, usually in the bush off the transversal highway. How they get the car owner's number I don't know. Maybe a cell phone was left in the car?

Another risky place to park is in the street by Caleta (the car ferry pier). I know of three cars that had their windows smashed this year and the goods inside of them stolen.

Hilarious, nearly content-free article, good for a chuckle. Appears to have been written by a bot (and not a very good one), certainly not by any human that has ever spent five minutes there.

Love all the gushing references to Cozumel's amazing beaches, not to mention the lack of proofreading.

So credible!

As I said before, many of the "news" articles in Q. Roo are nothing more than government press releases.
A retired civil judge was assassinated in Cozumel last night. I guess the "enhanced security" is not working very well.

As I said before, many of the "news" articles in Q. Roo are nothing more than government press releases.
A retired civil judge was assassinated in Cozumel last night. I guess the "enhanced security" is not working very well.
Was he retired? I read that he had been fired for corruption.

Heard three rounds fired off I rapid succession about 5 minutes ago, to the southeast of Cedrurai about a 1/4 mile out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom