Logging, OW vs pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello fellow divers,

i have a question/poll for all of you, especially the more experienced, but opened to all.

Do you think that only open water dives should be logged or that some pool dives could be included.

personnaly, i have only logged open water dives including, lakes, sea, rivers, cenotes (caves), quarries, etc. But as a divemaster student and PADI divemaster afterwards, i did a lot of dives in pools during scuba classes. Logging those dives never crossed my mind until a fellow divemaster said to me he did this at multiple occasions. His opinion was that you log everytime you breathe compressed air. Of course, i myself take notes of these activities (diving classes) but not in my logbook and i dont count them as actual dives.

What is your opinion?

p.s., I personnaly think a logbook is a personnal thing and that people can write whatever they want in it but i wonder what is considered the usual practice by a lot of divers of different agencies

Log them if you want but I believe PADI considers a dive to be 15 feet for 15 or 20 minutes.:D

I had a different opinioni of this the last time I responded to a question like this. My thought was to log everything. I no longer agree with that. I guess it's like team practice. The TV cameras are on for gameday. What you do the rest of the week you do for yourself.

I am in the pool 3 days a week for practice at this point. I log none of it, but I am getting better.

m3830431:
Log them if you want but I believe PADI considers a dive to be 15 feet for 15 or 20 minutes.:D

I've had shorter dives that were intense enough learning experiences that I've counted them as logged dives...

wardric:
Hello fellow divers,

i have a question/poll for all of you, especially the more experienced, but opened to all.

Do you think that only open water dives should be logged or that some pool dives could be included.

personnaly, i have only logged open water dives including, lakes, sea, rivers, cenotes (caves), quarries, etc. But as a divemaster student and PADI divemaster afterwards, i did a lot of dives in pools during scuba classes. Logging those dives never crossed my mind until a fellow divemaster said to me he did this at multiple occasions. His opinion was that you log everytime you breathe compressed air. Of course, i myself take notes of these activities (diving classes) but not in my logbook and i dont count them as actual dives.

What is your opinion?

p.s., I personnaly think a logbook is a personnal thing and that people can write whatever they want in it but i wonder what is considered the usual practice by a lot of divers of different agencies
I dive in aquariums about two times a week and do not log any of them. The regulator I use for that does not have a pressure gauge on it and I do not carry a depth gauge or timing device.

A need to make at least a note of breathing compressed air is a good point. Perhaps I should start a "month at a glance" type log for such dives. The aquarium does have a record of them.

m3830431:

I dont intend to do that personnaly. the thread is only to see if other divers agree/or disagree with this practice (and to settle the discussion with my buddy:D )

and I should precise: people can write whatever they want in it as long as it's true:wink:

lamont:
I've had shorter dives that were intense enough learning experiences that I've counted them as logged dives...

Heh, I remember an old dive I had logged: 3m, 1min. My first - and only - attempt at ice-diving. There were a lot of expletives in the logbook, mostly directed at myself for choosing to wake up early to go through this, when I could either have slept in, or have had 2 great dives on U-853.

lamont:

I can agree with that (I know what you mean), however my question is not related only to depth or time but to the environnement (not open Water).

The aquarium is an interesting variation that I did not think about. There is also the case of especially deep pools like in Montreal (over 60 ft deep) or in Europe (over 100 ft deep). but lets stick to regular 9-12 ft (deep portion) pools for that topic.

Thanks for the rapid replies

I really see no point in logging pool dives at all. Sheltered water shouldnt really count unless its part of a training course. Things like aquariums etc then fine but not swimming pools. If i got to dive SETT id log it as a one off.

I dont count my pool time as dives but i do log them separately purely because of the need to keep a record of logged teaching hours in sheltered and open water. It doesnt count towards my dive total though.

I generally log open water dives even very short ones if something useful/memorable happened or was performed on the dive. 8 minute dive involving controlled lifts,tows and so on are worth logging as reminders as would be short dives where you found something etc. A dive log is for your own personal use so i see no harm.

Training standards for training dives have different criteria so are treated differently.

wardric:
But as a divemaster student and PADI divemaster afterwards, i did a lot of dives in pools during scuba classes. Logging those dives never crossed my mind until a fellow divemaster said to me he did this at multiple occasions.
Personally I don't think ANY dive where someone is doing training should be logged.

I'm sick and tired of hearing instructors boasting about having 1000 dives, then observing them walking on the reef a short time later.

Or, as one of my friends so nicely put "Some people have a thousand dives. Others have done one dive a thousand times."

Roak

Back
Top Bottom