Logging, OW vs pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
You're right... I was generalizing...
Everyone always does that. :wink:

I count pool dives, particularly in the winter. It's that or freeze my tuchus off trying to scuba in Lake Tenkiller, just to say I've kept in practice. Though drysuit divers do say the visibility is better... probably because they have the lake to themselves!
Also, we tend to find things to do like frisbee, hula hoop courses, photography, so there is something new to record. Every bit helps.

PADI's standards for a loggable dive are good but I think that some shorter dives are more valuable for experience. For example, a 10 minutes dive at 100 ft aborted for a freeflow with all the emergency procedures is in my opinion more valuable for gaining experience than a 60 minutes dive at your favorite reef or lake that you have done 20 times.

But I still would'nt count a pool dive exept those aquarium or special deep pools.

Rick Inman:
Everyone always does that. :wink:
AAaarrrggghhhhh!
You didn't really post that....
Rick

I log everything, but I only increment my open water dives. Its important for professionals to keep record of everything, especially if a student or guided diver had some problems on the dive, whether it be a pool dive or open water dive.

For non-pro divers its also nice to keep record of pool dives (without incrementing them) to record such things as weight required, skills learned, etc.

But its still a personal thing, to either see how many dives you can accumulate or to just keep it as a record, is your choice.

I like looking back at holiday dives, reading all my WOW comments of all the tropical fish I saw to reminesce about good memories :)

Diver0001:
Pool dives are not dives.

I do log them though, but not in my scuba log. I keep a DM log so I can prove experience DMing and keep track of what the shop owes me. :)

R..

I keep it all in the log book but there are alot entries that don't "count," Rick made the point worth repeating there's a difference between logging activity and counting an ow dive. Its easiest for me to have it all in one place, I just have to archive every so often to keep the log book of manageable weight. For tax reasons I break them down by year and file them with my receipts.

Rick Murchison:
There are two distinct issues here...
(1) Logging - a log is a record. Nothing more or less. If you want to maintain a record of a pool session then by all means do so. I record all my class pool sessions, for example, with notations for each skill demonstrated, introduced, performed and/or practiced for each student, along with explanatory notes for each skill not performed up to standard. This is not only a double check for me to make sure I cover everything and that everybody gets things up to standard, it is a record that everything was done should that question ever come up in the future. I keep that record in my logbook because it's convenient to do so.
(2) Dives, or more accurately, dives that count. Pool sessions are not "counters." When someone asks "how many dives do you have?", pool sessions, pool repairs, bottom cleaning of boats that draw less than about 4 feet etc just don't count in my opinion. All those may go in the logbook if I'm doing them as a job, but they don't count as "dives" for the "how many" question.
Rick

I agree with Rick. I log all dives in my log book including training dives, pool dives, etc.

The pool dives I log as pool dives (under dive number I write pool) and include notes on my students and which pool sessions they were. I do not count them towards my dive total.

All other dives I log towards my dive total.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom