Logging, OW vs pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion - a totally personal choice. However, you must log dives to accumulate prerequisites for some PADI certifications - e.g. Rescue, Divemaster.

PADI defines a dive like this in their Instructor Manual:

4. For training purposes, an open water dive is a dive during which a student spends the majority of time at a depth of at least 5 metres/15 feet and:
a. breathes at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas.
OR
b. remains submerged for at least 20 minutes.

Mi dos psi
Mark

roakey:
Personally I don't think ANY dive where someone is doing training should be logged.

I log all my skills dives and training dives (none of those are in the pool though, I haven't been in a pool since BOW pool sessions).

Of course, for me, those are usually the dives that move me forwards significantly in ability. A lot of my "went to 90 fsw, saw some fish, came up, 60 minute total runtime" dives really don't move me forwards much. Even if they're at different dive sites with current and stuff, they're not improving my diving skills as much as skills dives...

Aquariums are merely salt water pools with fish. They don't count. There's nothing wrong with logging them as long as they don't go into the total number of open water dives. A dive logbook is a record of open water dives. I log all open water dives regardless of depth or duration. Some might not count for training purposes, but at this point, that's not an issue for me.

roakey:
Personally I don't think ANY dive where someone is doing training should be logged.

I'm sick and tired of hearing instructors boasting about having 1000 dives, then observing them walking on the reef a short time later.

Or, as one of my friends so nicely put "Some people have a thousand dives. Others have done one dive a thousand times."

Roak

I would have to disagree with you Roak. By your thinking, anyone doing any sort of certification would not log the dive, whether it is an instructor, or a student. What is the difference between doing a dive on a wreck at 90 feet as a student and doing the same dive after the course is over? If the instructor is doing a proper job, they should be an example to the student. Ditto for the divemaster. When I do help out on OW coursed, most of my time is spent hovering near the class, ready to jump in where required, and keeping an eye on the larger group. I take advantage of the time to try to improve my skills.

By analogy, I should not have logged my 1800 hours of flight instructor time. Sorry, but some of that time was the most difficult flying I have done.

As for pool dives, I have logged only one. It was a training dive during the NAS1 course. We were looking like fools trying to do underwater survey in 20 feet for over and hour. For the rest, they don't make it to my dive log.

IMO - since this is all about opinions... I don't think you should log pool dives. Breathing off of a tank does not count as a dive... I think you should only count OW dives, especially, if you are logging the dives towards a DM or other advanced certification where the number of logged dives is a factor.

I also think that the pre-requisites for Advanced open water, and Rescue diver should include a number of dives performed prior to being eligible for those certs as well. I don't think that people should be allowed to even take the rescue class with less than 20 dives, if not more than that even... These people have virtually no experience, and they are "rescue" divers??? Would you trust a lifeguard with only 10 hours of swimming experience? (I know this is slightly off topic, but it's been on my mind lately)

tedtim:
I would have to disagree with you Roak. By your thinking, anyone doing any sort of certification would not log the dive, whether it is an instructor, or a student.
I pick my words very carefully. I said "someone doing training" not "someone getting training." So the student logs the dive, but not the instructor.

As the instructor you may learn to teach better, but you don't learn to dive better during a class. Face it, 99% of the instructors I see out there go down, kneel on the sand, have their students remove and replace their masks, lead them on a tour and add one more dive to their dive log.

"One dive done a thousand times."

Roak

I would not log any pool dives (I would probably log an aquarium dive, just because it would be unique)
I have gone by my instructors suggestion of logging only dives of 20min. or longer (I did include an interesting dive, short but memorable, like the two rescue dives in less than 3' vis :11: )

"These people have virtually no experience, and they are "rescue" divers??? Would you trust a lifeguard with only 10 hours of swimming experience" ... I have rescue training , I am not a rescue diver ... I am a safer diver

DB

roakey:
I pick my words very carefully. I said "someone doing training" not "someone getting training." So the student logs the dive, but not the instructor.

I read "someone doing training" to include "student doing training dive", which is where i think the confusion came from...

There are two distinct issues here...
(1) Logging - a log is a record. Nothing more or less. If you want to maintain a record of a pool session then by all means do so. I record all my class pool sessions, for example, with notations for each skill demonstrated, introduced, performed and/or practiced for each student, along with explanatory notes for each skill not performed up to standard. This is not only a double check for me to make sure I cover everything and that everybody gets things up to standard, it is a record that everything was done should that question ever come up in the future. I keep that record in my logbook because it's convenient to do so.
(2) Dives, or more accurately, dives that count. Pool sessions are not "counters." When someone asks "how many dives do you have?", pool sessions, pool repairs, bottom cleaning of boats that draw less than about 4 feet etc just don't count in my opinion. All those may go in the logbook if I'm doing them as a job, but they don't count as "dives" for the "how many" question.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom