Long hose and camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just made the move to a 7ft long hose on my singles setup which I quite like. However I've run into an issue with my camera. Camera is a mirror less interchangeable lens system that while not the size of an slr, is not small either. Before I would clip it to my left and right shoulder d-ring for stowage, I quite like that arrangement as well. However, it now traps the long hose.

Ive tried clipping the camera to ,left shoulder and hip dring. But I found that less than ideal an shifting my weight to far left. Any suggestions on how to stow a large camera while using a long hose?

Try diving it a couple more times.

A lot of people manage a good deal of weight on the left (stages/deco bottles), but it takes some getting used to. If you absolutely can't get comfortable with it, try clipping it off to your butt D-ring. Your camera will sit relatively protected on the back of your legs. This probably takes more getting used to, but will unbalance you less.

If the rig is more than a few pounds negative, you could also try making it a little lighter - ultralight arms and such.

You could clip it to you crotch strap to get it out of the way. Also by making the camera neutral in the water it tends to stay between your legs while kicking.

You could clip it to you crotch strap to get it out of the way. Also by making the camera neutral in the water it tends to stay between your legs while kicking.
How's this....mount the camera to a 30 cu ft bottle of O2 (or just nitrox if you are not a tech diver) ....and clip to left side d rings like stage bottle. for shooting, use the camera on the tank, with the extra inertial mass to make major stabilization effects on your video...But if the camera does not do video, this will not be helpful :)

There are several scooter mounts that would also work on a tank...

Actually, this would be a terrible idea as far as getting into the water from the boat, or in getting out....you would really need to hand the camera up to someone on the boat to get out of the water without hurting the camera...and in jumping in, you would not risk the camera in that configuration either, so you would have to jump in, turn back to the boat, and have someone hand it to you...

Why not just clip it off on the left shoulder D-ring? That's what I do with my system, which is reasonably heavy with an aluminum housing and dual strobes. One of my regular dive buddies does the same thing with her larger, bulkier D200 and Aquatica housing and dual strobes ... she doesn't seem to have any problems.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As stated above try to lighten your rig and try an alternate d-ring. It just takes a little practice.
Arm Segments for Underwater Photography
You can use foam, but the buoyancy arms are a much slicker solution.

Shouldn't you have enough hose length to position the hose outside of your left shoulder clip?
Try attaching buoyant foam to your flash arms if your camera is too heavy, that might make it easier to handle when clipped off.

I understand it's not the same size as your camera but you might get an idea from it. I have tested this rig over the years and it's been on every kind of dive with great success. As someone who hates to dive with a camera but enjoys reliving the experience this is perfect. It's out of the way till I need it and really does not cause any drag issues or me solving problems as them come along. Clip, unclip, shoot, clip and go. I also made one for video and have made many for the GUE crew.
UWR2009D.jpg
UWR2009B.jpg
UWR2009a.jpg

Last edited:
Mayor:

Is that 1/4", 3/16" or 1/8" AL flat bar stock? Seems rather thick in the last photo. I'd think that 1/8" would do it.

Mayor:Is that 1/4", 3/16" or 1/8" AL flat bar stock? Seems rather thick in the last photo. I'd think that 1/8" would do it.
I think it's 1/8 on this unit. Some of my video mounts are thicker. I found it's thick enough to not allow any flex. Also long enough for the strobe to rest next to the camera and be clipped off. Cave line, stainless clips, and some other things make it very nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom