Long hose and camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I have a micro 4/3s rig with single strobe (Oly EPL-1 with Oly Housing and Inon D2000 strobe) and use a BP/W with a 7 foot hose and a Salvo canlight. My camera unit is slightly negative (my preference) and is hooked to my left chest D-ring using a coiled line system. I've had no problems with doing Giant Strides, back rolls, etc. AND I've also had the system lowered to me.

I have also scootered with this system and when doing that, add a second clip which goes to my crotch strap.

BUT IF you really want to have it clipped to both chest D-rings (I'm assuming this is for travel and NOT while you are shooting), there isn't any reason it would have to trap the long hose.

A. Just lift up the hose and run the strap underneath and clip off;

B. If that is too cumbersome, switch to backup (assuming under your chin), take long hose off, clip system to right D-Ring and then re-route long hose.

Either way, the long hose is now OVER the camera system.

I wouldn't do it that way myself but, instead, if I needed/wanted a two point system, clip to left chest D-ring and crotch D-ring.

I dive with a long hose and a canister light and I am able to clip my Olympus PEN to my right D-Ring without any issues. Nice thing with the canister is that you can keep the hose tucked away clean under it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Broct, are you single clipping your camera or double clippling? If I am not mistaken, the OP is clipping his camera to his left AND his right chest D-rings and thus trapping his long hose. Yes, if you single clip, you shouldn't trap the long hose.

Single bolt snap. Camera is in my hand most of the time. I can still deploy the long hose with the camera clippped.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1326427734350.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1326427734350.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 152
With all the discussion about the long hose getting trapped, and the need for the photographer to safely and securely attach the camera ...it should not be forgotten that a serious photographer will NEVER be a real DIR buddy, if they are shooting....they will not be able to have the required awareness of the state and location of their buddy(s) while shooting....which means that trapping the hose is not even really relevant, most of the time....the photographer or videographer is ideally part of a 3 man team, where they are the "dependant buddy", and the other two are the real buddies.

With all the discussion about the long hose getting trapped, and the need for the photographer to safely and securely attach the camera ...it should not be forgotten that a serious photographer will NEVER be a real DIR buddy, if they are shooting....they will not be able to have the required awareness of the state and location of their buddy(s) while shooting....which means that trapping the hose is not even really relevant, most of the time....the photographer or videographer is ideally part of a 3 man team, where they are the "dependant buddy", and the other two are the real buddies.

Well, first off ... using a long hose doesn't necessarily imply DIR. That's just one application.

Secondly, one should not assume that using a camera makes for a dependent dive buddy ... that's an indication that the divers either choose to or do not know how to be a dive buddy while doing photography.

There are ways to work together and position yourself so that even the photographer keeps track of his buddy at all times. Granted, it takes more effort than when not shooting ... but if someone wants to do it, there are techniques.

NWGratefulDiver.com

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, first off ... using a long hose doesn't necessarily imply DIR. That's just one application.

Secondly, one should not assume that using a camera makes for a dependent dive buddy ... that's an indication that the divers either choose to or do not know how to be a dive buddy while doing photography.

There are ways to work together and position yourself so that even the photographer keeps track of his buddy at all times. Granted, it takes more effort than when not shooting ... but if someone wants to do it, there are techniques.

NWGratefulDiver.com

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is why I said "serious photographer or videographer"..... :) And this really does make a huge difference.....go down with David Doubilet, or Wyland, or most any of the world's most celebrated underwater photographers, and you will see a diver that is 100% committed to and focused on getting the most perfect and creative shots possible.....this will also mean large "gaps" in their awareness of their buddy, and anything going on at all that is outside of their shot....
On one dive I was on with a well known and very talented underwater photographer, she was shooting a black widow ( rare and exciting looking cleaner fish inside moray eel mouth) and completely oblivious to the 14 foot hammerhead that was 12 feet away, and far too interested ( due to our unknowingly being almost under a big Drift Fishing boat) -- and I had to actually grab her head and turn her field of view, to force awareness of something she needed to potentially alter behavior for..... This level of focus is very common with the best photographers. If they do not focus their attention, they will not get the world class shots.

So the idea that this is not DIR ( to shoot and be considered a real buddy) may not be too important to many divers, but they may well consider that even if they can't stand DIR ideas, that their ability to help a buddy is extremely compromised while they are shooting. ..Meaning many non-DIR's may well decide that a 3 man buddy team is smarter....or some of these may just decide that it is every man for himself. :)

... the reality is that the vast majority of us are not ... and will never be ... what you consider a "serious photographer". We do not carry the equipment, dive with the experience or resources, nor focus as intensely on the task of taking a picture as a professional photographer does. Nor do we need to. There is a vast area between strict DIR and "every man for himself" ... and that is the area where reasonable techniques can help a photographer take pictures without compromising the integrity of the buddy team.

What most recreational divers need to know isn't how David Doubilet behaves, but how they need to in order to take pictures while maintaining a buddy relationship. Once you've logged 10,000 dives and sold your first $10,000 picture, then you can worry about emulating the "serious photographer" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... the reality is that the vast majority of us are not ... and will never be ... what you consider a "serious photographer". We do not carry the equipment, dive with the experience or resources, nor focus as intensely on the task of taking a picture as a professional photographer does. Nor do we need to. There is a vast area between strict DIR and "every man for himself" ... and that is the area where reasonable techniques can help a photographer take pictures without compromising the integrity of the buddy team.

What most recreational divers need to know isn't how David Doubilet behaves, but how they need to in order to take pictures while maintaining a buddy relationship. Once you've logged 10,000 dives and sold your first $10,000 picture, then you can worry about emulating the "serious photographer" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with you on everything you are saying...I do think it is worthwhile for even the novice photogrphers to be aware that this shooting underwater makes them a less effective buddy than they would be without the camera.
If they are normally a crappy buddy, the camera will make them even worse. If they are normally a good buddy, now they won't be quite as good.
It's just something they should be aware of.

I'm not DIR, I'm chinese! I deliberately avoided posting this in the DIR forum. Occasionally I take photos of a quality sufficient for a drunken Facebook post, but otherwise I consider myself a happy snapper whose photography skills do not remotely warrant the money spent on my camera system. Thanks everyone for their comments, i'll play around some more with my setup. I have no problem with a single stage on my left, so I'm not sure why having my camera there bugs me so clipped off to left chest and waist ring. Perhaps its the thought of scratching my dome port that just unsettles me. I think the main benefit of the left/right chest d-ring arrangement is the peace of mind in keeping my camera safe (or perceived safeness). The other two I'll play around with is left chest to crotch ring and taking the extra step to insure the hose is not trapped when I clip off the left chest ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom