Long hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See, immediately, you (Jeff G) have blindly followed into the 'if its not the way I was taught...' Did you actually read the guy's posts- Probably not , 'cause Boxcar Overkill states he dives singles, no wetsuit, 5' hose. So I pray he is not doing any form of technical diving. So almost any airshare he would be involved in would be recreational. In my case, as I said, I can quite easily restow. Besides, as you are coming from the DIR/GUE philosophy, what exactly would you be doing operating without a buddy....Oh, and check the top of the forum- its Hog diving, not DIR. That means, other ideas/opinions/etc are allowed, before you get on your pulpit, making fun of people- "who says he does drills",etc. That's really just rude, and one more reason that many of us don't enjoy dealing with DIR/GUE people.
-J

See, immediately, you (Jeff G) have blindly followed into the 'if its not the way I was taught...' Did you actually read the guy's posts- Probably not , 'cause Boxcar Overkill states he dives singles, no wetsuit, 5' hose. So I pray he is not doing any form of technical diving. So almost any airshare he would be involved in would be recreational. In my case, as I said, I can quite easily restow. Besides, as you are coming from the DIR/GUE philosophy, what exactly would you be doing operating without a buddy....Oh, and check the top of the forum- its Hog diving, not DIR. That means, other ideas/opinions/etc are allowed, before you get on your pulpit, making fun of people- "who says he does drills",etc. That's really just rude, and one more reason that many of us don't enjoy dealing with DIR/GUE people.
-J

Nah, I don't think he was being rude. In context it makes sense to me.

But thanks for the defense anyway, and especially the advice about bunging the hose. I'm off for a dive now, (weather permitting). I'll put on the bungie and see if I like it better.

Last edited:
That's really just rude, and one more reason that many of us don't enjoy dealing with DIR/GUE people.
-J
Darn...I'm now going to lose sleep.

I tried the bungie method, and I like it. It's a simple and easy deployment - and that's if its a controlled deployment when I'm donating.

But even more so If an OOA diver comes up to me in a panic and tries to yank the reg from my mouth. I don't want the hose routed behind my head, across my body, and behind a cannister in that scenario. It would be too easy to yank the mask off my head, the cannister off my belt, tangle me up in the hose, etc.

It's super simple with the hose bungied.They pull on the reg and the extra length of the hose easily unravels from behind a bungie and over my shoulder, giving the person the full length of the hose. The routing around the body seems unnecessarily complex for that scenario, and creates about as many problems as it solves

Maybe for other applications (tec, etc.) it makes more sense to route the hose all around your body. But I can't think of a good reason to do it for the average single tank tropical diver.

I use it for my tech. Its an older method- but it works. Don't let the DIR dorks stop you from trying something that is a standard rigging outside Dorks unlimited. I will be nice-and allow someone else's rant to go for mine. Notice how any of them, when asked to explain why this method (the bungee) was bad, they spewed their religion, but never did say anything. Nor, were they able to say how the bungee was bad. Scubaboards policy kills me- we can't post in the DIR section, but they can post anywhere they like- and notice, most of them have WAY MORE POSTS than dives. by the way, for anyone that wants a good laugh:
DIR - what its not
-J

I use it for my tech. Its an older method- but it works. Don't let the DIR dorks stop you from trying something that is a standard rigging outside Dorks unlimited. I will be nice-and allow someone else's rant to go for mine. Notice how any of them, when asked to explain why this method (the bungee) was bad, they spewed their religion, but never did say anything. Nor, were they able to say how the bungee was bad. Scubaboards policy kills me- we can't post in the DIR section, but they can post anywhere they like- and notice, most of them have WAY MORE POSTS than dives. by the way, for anyone that wants a good laugh:
DIR - what its not
-J

And you just lost all credibility.

I like the DIR stuff, and even as a rec diver I learn a lot from it. I'm glad the people who support DIR make their advice publicly available, because often times they recommend things I've never even thought about. I normally start off with the idea that what they are recommending is the best way to do it.

But in cases like this, it looks like having a long hose wrapped around my body and equipment like an anaconda isn't sound practice - at least not for a rec diver like me. So I'm going with the bungie.

BO, it makes a lot more sense after someone shows you how the hose routing works. Reading about it on the Intarwebz doesn't do it justice. FWIW.

I started with the bungee. Several different ways, but I never liked how it made my hose come over my shoulder. Just never felt comfortable. Then I decided to bite the bullet and go with the wrap method. So much more comfortable than I imagined reading about it.

Whatever works.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom