Long hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A number of the folks I have dived with use the bungie method--some of them cave divers. It works, it was invented by cave divers.

I prefer the around-the-neck method. And when I'm diving with no canister light, I tuck the hose under my safety reel, which is on the d-ring on my right hip. I always have the safety reel. When I do have a can light, the hose tucks under both it and the safety reel.

theskull

I know it was invented by cave divers, but I think it has largely gone out of favor, although some may still use it.

And just to be a bit more specific: its my right side that stays as clean as possible, I have dove with many people that use the "'round the can" style of routing, it works for them, thats great. But working on an 18 pack, we get all sorts of divers mixed onboard. Thats why you can get the 'no idea where my buddy is, but I'm OOG' diver. For the most part, the only time I am in the water with the guests is at the beginning of my dive, which is the end of theirs, or the end of mine, which is the beginning of theirs. So I am usually in a very different place than most divers. Now, to a point TSandM raised, leaving me with a question. I know there is a potential for line entanglement within caves-very similar to wreck penetration. And as I am not a caver, I must be missing something, but, I would think entrapment, loss of direction, catastrophic failure of systems would be the main problems associated with cave diving. Not so much the entanglement issue. I am just curious, as you did state "I cave dive, which is an environment in which entanglement is very easy to do, and all the cave divers I know dive a standard wrapped long hose." Really not trying to be a jerk, just missing what the entanglement risks are, with the exception of the lines, which are highly dangerous in any diving situation. Please expound upon this, if you would, as for years some cave buddies have been trying to get me into it, and I have a slight interest in the cenotes, so will eventually probably take my NACD cave courses. Maybe.
-J

And just to be a bit more specific: its my right side that stays as clean as possible, I have dove with many people that use the "'round the can" style of routing, it works for them, thats great. But working on an 18 pack, we get all sorts of divers mixed onboard. Thats why you can get the 'no idea where my buddy is, but I'm OOG' diver. For the most part, the only time I am in the water with the guests is at the beginning of my dive, which is the end of theirs, or the end of mine, which is the beginning of theirs. So I am usually in a very different place than most divers. Now, to a point TSandM raised, leaving me with a question. I know there is a potential for line entanglement within caves-very similar to wreck penetration. And as I am not a caver, I must be missing something, but, I would think entrapment, loss of direction, catastrophic failure of systems would be the main problems associated with cave diving. Not so much the entanglement issue. I am just curious, as you did state "I cave dive, which is an environment in which entanglement is very easy to do, and all the cave divers I know dive a standard wrapped long hose." Really not trying to be a jerk, just missing what the entanglement risks are, with the exception of the lines, which are highly dangerous in any diving situation. Please expound upon this, if you would, as for years some cave buddies have been trying to get me into it, and I have a slight interest in the cenotes, so will eventually probably take my NACD cave courses. Maybe.
-J
you can become entangled in the cave line

Thats kinda what I said- TSandM's statement sounded like there were multiple entanglement hazards, I understand about the line- either fixed or your own, which is similar to wreck penetration. And yes, you can hook a line many, many ways. But my question goes back to- are there other entanglement hazards? Maybe I am being dim, but in the north east, we have monofiliment, netting, old sisal, new sisal, polypropylene (which I swear is ony there to screw with you), along with penetration lines, jagged metal, and probably an ill mannered fish or two. I am also trying to understand how using a bungeed long hose is an entanglement issue, as she implied. Either way, the hose is a loop, from the tank to the mouth. So, that isn't the reason. The guys I know that use the round the can method just answer 'because it is safer.' In my opinion, they don't know then, either.
-J

Bungied to the tank certainly looks tidier and simpler to deploy. Not that deploying is hard with it behind the neck, but there's no reason to make something more complicated than it need be if there's no real benefit.

The only benefit I can see to "Behind the head" is that it's easier to re-stow - which may be something that cave divers value, I don't know. (Leaving aside any benefit of uniformity if your team diving and the rest of your team is diving that way.)

seems like it would tend to complicate s drills.
having to get a team member to re-stow it every time

Who says he does drills?

Bungied to the tank certainly looks tidier and simpler to deploy. Not that deploying is hard with it behind the neck, but there's no reason to make something more complicated than it need be if there's no real benefit.

The only benefit I can see to "Behind the head" is that it's easier to re-stow - which may be something that cave divers value, I don't know. (Leaving aside any benefit of uniformity if your team diving and the rest of your team is diving that way.)
For a technical diving point of view, the only "OOA" I've seen or heard about are temporary gas shares. (Usually during a gas switch) All of these require re-stowing after the emergency have been solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom