Long Hoses For New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa:
Long hose discussions to J-valves and vertical divers. Are you reaching a little here?
I think he made his point very clear. A lot of gear that was first used in the cave community (and was looked upon as having no use in OW) has now become the norm...as the long hose probably will one day.

Jason

Divesherpa:
Long hose discussions to J-valves and vertical divers. Are you reaching a little here?

J-valves - Ok maybe you are new to diving like the last 5 to 10 years. Does the connection with devils gas make it easier LOL. Vertical divers - well try coming up a line or doing just about anything else with an "octo length" line and you will know what I am saying.

No Divesherpa I don't feel that I am reaching because I remember when all of these things were said back when the equipment started to hit the main stream market. There will always be divers that just don't put any time into knowing what they are doing and I do not feel that is a reason not to use equipment which provides a better use.

In a truly stressed situation it is my opinion that a longer hose makes that situation easier to deal with and sort out. The use of the hose is easy to train, no more difficult than teaching an octo in the first place. This is not even taking into consideration the fact that teaching to donate the reg in your mouth is the better solution as well. Just to save you the time typing.

1. You know the reg is working and that it will give the stressed diver what they so desprately need, a good air source.

2. The donating diver knowing that they will donate the reg they are breathing from will be more inclined to keep their second reg in good working order and check it in the water because they know they themselves will have to depend on it.

3. A truly stressed diver will take the reg from your mouth anyway and if you practice it then having it taken will not stress the donating diver compared to the alternative.

Divesherpa:
Wow, Bob. Great job bringing up the OOA divers.

What location are you diving that has that many OOA's?

It sounds like those folks need a little refresher course on proper guage usage.

Gee work on any boat in the keys for a month during the summer and you will have plenty of opportunity to bring some folks up, when you are dm in the water. Should they have better skills, absolutely. Will they take the time or make the effort, no way. They dive one or two times a year and can't be bothered even to listen to the dive briefing or watch their spg. It is a fact of life in the diving world and you should know this as an instructor unless you are living in a vacuum.

Yeah, I should probably try DM'ing in Florida. Then I would learn all about what it's like to dive with folks who run out of air (without my knowing) all the time.

Cheers,
Jamie

Edited to soften my approach!

Divesherpa:
Wow, Bob. Great job bringing up the OOA divers.

What location are you diving that has that many OOA's?

It sounds like those folks need a little refresher course on proper guage usage.

Perhaps ... but to answer your question, one of our favorite local dive sites is a place that is popular with new divers and dive instructors teaching classes. It's also a place where it's easy for new divers to go deeper than they planned. While a real OOA isn't exactly a commonplace occurance, it's a numbers game ... the site is visited by, literally, hundreds of divers in a given week ... and I dive there two or three times a week on average.

Humans being what they are, mistakes tend to occur. I try not to be too judgmental ... but in fact, I do find myself at times encouraging some of these divers to work on their skills.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Divesherpa,

Come now I am sure that you have seen dive instructors that live in a vacuum and only you can make the call for your situation. If your out there working it and diving it then you have seen it.

As far as a true OOA I agree this should never happen or worst case once in a life time. As for me I have been in it twice but both were years ago and on deep cold dives with vastly far different procedures then today. They don't apply but they are what they are. Putting someone on your hose to keep them at the 500 psi that they should have surfaced with to get them through the safety stop, much more common. Especialy when you have a dozen divers in the water and a DM is only taking care of 3 or 4 for the dive. I do not agree it is piss poor from the start but it is off the subject so lets just let it go.

Never thought I was not playing nice and never did make anything nasty. I had a point to make and brought up the reasons for the point and countered some of the points to the contrary. I thought that is what the board was about, bringing out a subject and talking about the merits of one thought or another. I think I rather accurately brought out the points that may make a long hose a consideration, so though you may feel that because you don't agree that is all there is to say. I still feel there is merit in considering a long hose even for the OW diver.

Steel tanks in a wet suit, LOL so do I. Though I must be honest I am rarely in a wet suit for a good amount of years. It is all good.

Nice presentation of the issue, Bobby. Divesherpa, I think the idea here is that many of us try to standardize our equipment configuration and use the same configuration whether diving in the keys or up in cave country. Check out the GUE website for a good discussion of this issue.

For the record, I'm neither a caver or a DIR diver, though I think that both of these groups have some very good ideas regarding diver safety.

Obviously, there are differences in opinion on this, just as there are over the AirII, which I don't like. I also don't like teaching students to kneel on the bottom, though, or to give lip service to the buddy system while allowing "same day, same ocean" buddy teams. All of these practices seem to be pretty common in the Keys, and while I love diving there, I'm always a bit concerned by some of the cavalier attitudes that I see down there.

But to be fair, I've also dived with many very good divers there too. I just don't see the harm in teaching students a more safety-oriented diving style.

Divesherpa:
Most of the internet divers who show up with a long hose have no idea how to properly stow one or exactly why a long hose is around in the first place. Ever try an S-drill on a drift dive? Ever try an S-drill with high current?
My first exposure to a long hose was when I took the ANDI CSU course. We did S-drills and practised air sharing during both dives, not only using the long hose, but also using a 40" hose on a 40 cf sling bottle. The air sharing off the long hose was into a very strong current. We were swimming up over a ridge at 85 fsw and the current practically stopped us. I was the donor and I was on the right hand side of my buddy, holding her arm. We were swimming (at one point, crawling along the bottom with the free hand) horizontally side by side. It was no big deal. It would have sucked with a conventional octopus. I'll go so far to say that air sharing using a conventional octopus in such conditions could potentially be dangerous.
Divesherpa:
How many times have you actually NEEDED a long hose in recreational diving? If your answer is more than ZERO, you may want to screen who you dive with.
I guess by your logic, we shouldn't have a secondary at all. For me, I hope I never experience a true OOA situation, but if I do, I'd rather be using a long hose any time.

The experience of diving with a bp/w, sling bottle and long hose rig was what motivated me to purchase that type of rig. I'm very glad I waited until I got a chance to use a hogarthian rig before purchasing my own equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom