Looking at buying a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slacker

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just getting started with diving, I live in N. Michigan and will be in the big water a lot, The dive shop is saying I should have a two piece 7mm. Whats working for anyone in the area? What about Mares Isotherm or Pinnacle's Merino (wool lining).
Thanks

I don't live in MI but IN and I own a Mares Isotherm. Yesterday I took it for a deep dive to around 80'. As you can imagine it was rather cold, 57 dgrees. Granted that we were only there for a few minutes but I was warm as toast and from what I have heard here I would only get warmer.
There is another thread about the Mares Isotherm here, just do a search.

I live in MO and dive in 42 degree water regularly. I use a two piece 7mm suit. I'm going to be using a drysuit this winter though.

Problem with a wetsuit when the cold weather sets is in is that you freeze when you get out of the water unless you either stip it off between dives or have some warm water to pour into it when out of the water.

slacker:
What brand suit are you using? the shops here have Henderson, Bare, and pinnacle, any thoughts?
I'm getting ready to buy (this weekd) a new Bare two piece. Just waiting for it to come in. I take a large/short, not something most people keep in stock.

The one I have, I purchased used with a bag full of other goodies. I've put 70+ dives on it in the past 5 months and combined with what the previous owner did with it, it's literally coming unravelled. lol

slacker:
I'm just getting started with diving, I live in N. Michigan and will be in the big water a lot, The dive shop is saying I should have a two piece 7mm. Whats working for anyone in the area? What about Mares Isotherm or Pinnacle's Merino (wool lining).
Thanks
Where are you in northern Michigan? I live in the Traverse City area.

I have tried 7 mil 2-piece suits. I'm in the Chicago area. I find the 7 mil jumpsuit (1-piece) much more comfortable. Because I take a "super sized" suit, the only brand I have tried is Akona. In fact, I find the jumpsuit warmer than the FJ only because the FJ I rented had zippered sleeves and ankles (the jumpsuit did not). The zuppers let in too much water.

No matter how well a 2-piece fits, you're still going to manage to get a shot of icewater down the back, sooner or later.
I always preferred a 1-piece suit with a hooded vest underneath, stayed toasty & had the minimum amount of cold water sneaking down the back of the neck.

Forget about buying by brand name, FIT is everything. A $99 suit that fits right will always be better than a $400 brand name that doesn't fit well.

I finished my OW course the last weekend in Sept., and ordered the Bare 7mm SGS full suit w/ 7 mm hooded vest the following monday. Just picked it up today and it fits GREAT!!! :crafty: Going to get it wet on friday with the LDS owner, looking at more gear and he's going to assemble it and let me take it for a test dive :eyebrow: Thanks for the input.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom