Looking for a computer...help (also anyone know anything about the Oceanic OCL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The features I'm looking for are something compact, reliable, would like USB connectivity and would like air integration but not essential. Thats pretty much it.

The guys at the shop I spoke to all seam to like oceanic (particularly the recommended the oceanic OCi) but after I'd read about their reliability and build quality problems I was a little worried about that.

Compact costs $... AI cost $ together costs $$ and limits options.

Many dive professionals (instructors) I know use watch sized computers for two reasons, 1 - they dive a lot so only use the one device for in and out of water and 2 - it creates a talking point out-side of diving and introduced diving conversation to a group and can lead to business...

AJ:
It has Rec mode, so in that respect it will be fine. Being chunk is great underwater. It means great readability. The main reason I traded in a Suunto D4 for the Shearwater.

Hmm good point. I guess I don't have any experience reading a computer under water so I should think about this as well

---------- Post added December 21st, 2015 at 09:28 AM ----------

If you are looking for a small computer which can be worn as a watch, have a look at the Seabear H3. It is the smallest dive computer I have seen and capable enough even for extreme diving.

I'd never heard of that one until you mentioned it. Seems like a great little computer, the only thing that worries me about it is that i can't really find any reviews of it in use. Seems like its very new and kind of unproven.

---------- Post added December 21st, 2015 at 09:32 AM ----------

Watch-size, no AI, extra stuff needed for USB, under $1K US, is pretty much Oceanic Geo 2. Up here in murkia it can be caught on specials for as little as $250, no idea about down under.

Otherwise you're looking at a thousand dollars (again, US prices) plus a fair chance you won't be able to put your transmitter on the rented first stage -- so need your own regs, too. Seabear now ScubaPro H3 if its promised AI ever materializes, and Hollis TX1 seem to have the best feature sets in that category right now.

Thanks. The geo 2 is a tempting option. I'll take another look at it. Basically seems like an older version of the OCL.

I hadn't heard of the sea bear until it was mentioned in this thread but its something i'm going to do some more research on. The Hollis seems like a pretty solid contender as well

I'd never heard of that one until you mentioned it. Seems like a great little computer, the only thing that worries me about it is that i can't really find any reviews of it in use. Seems like its very new and kind of unproven.

I haven't tried it either. FWIW, my cave instructor who is a veritable guru and a member of Apeks cave exploration team uses it and gave a very positive review.

Back
Top Bottom