Looking for a good quality/good price BCD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On this one you will get no end of advice. I say determine how much you will spend. Find shops where you can try one on, & buy whats most comfortable for you. Your comfort level will increase as you dive. Then you can make progressive decisions based on your own experience.

DIR? AAARRGGHH. I coulnt help it.:wink:

BIGSAGE136 once bubbled...
DIR? AAARRGGHH. I coulnt help it.:wink:

I do believe you're the first person to bring up DIR in any way in this thread.

If the diver does have that glimmer of explorer known only to a chosen few in the entire universe...They may want to look into what might be expected in terms of gear configuration to minimize future costs.

I'm, innocent...I swear:wacko:

BCD's on my website.

The Intrigue is the same as Dacor's Nautica.
The SportPak is the same as Dacor's Sportster.

Both can be had for under $30..with a 30 day money back gurantee.

Click the link in my signature :)

Happy Diving!

--Chris--

I bought a Dacor Nautica from Leisure pro. It is on their site on the clearance page. They have it for $175 but are low on sizes. If you can get into NYC right around the corner from them is Scuba Network on 6th Ave. They have them for $189. There are others on the clearance page also at LP.

I lucked out. LP had one used in excellent shape, and I got it for $159. I couldn't even tell it was used.

I used it once in the pool for my class and it is great.

Good luck.

My advice on the BCD, is really not to skimp with regards to the cost and quality. Unfortunately as with a lot of diving equipment; you really get what you pay for.

Personally I started diving with a Mares Vector Origin BCD, which was perfect until I started to add accessories to my personal dive collection.

After a while I found the Mares BCD which cost me about Euro 300, just didn't make me feel comfortable. So after a while and a lot of consideration I invested in a Sea Quest Pro QD, which has proved to be one of the best investments I have made.

I still have the Mares BCD hanging in my study, doing nothing, along with a cheap mares regulator set, which I also replaced once I had more experience.

Simply put - Don't skimp, if you don't want to invest the money to start with, rent the kit and buy yourself something you are happy with at a later date. Trust me, if you buy the lesser quality kit, you will regret it in the long term - I did.

Hope this helps

Paul

I know that this should be for another thread but I just had to make this comment.

I am truly amazed at the prices of dive equipment in your countries. Some of the prices that are quoted are absolutely astounding.

That same Vector Origin that you purchased for 300 euro can be gotten in the Philippines for about 150+ euro retail. Your retailers must be making a killing in profits!!!:eek:

Erwin,

Thanks,

Prices do range greatly from country to country, but personally I think I fell in to the new diver hole.

Basically if I had shopped around some more I could have bought the BCD for around Euro 200, which annoys me. I visited the shop as it came highly recommended, it was just unfortunate about the prices.

My SeaQuest only cost Euro 350 from Lucas Diving in Holland.

Cheers

Paul

erwin once bubbled...
<snip>That same Vector Origin that you purchased for 300 euro can be gotten in the Philippines for about 150+ euro retail. Your retailers must be making a killing in profits!!!:eek:

Not necessarily... what is the difference in overhead beatween the two places? Cost of labor, a storefront, utilities, taxes, insurance, taxes, etc? This is a factor people frequently fail to take into account when talking about prices of goods. There's more to profit than the difference between the manufacturer's wholesale price and the final retail price.

Not arguing. Just making an observation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom