Looking for a new dive spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you said you like the Caribbean, but sometimes flying there from the western US can be a pain schedule-wise. The couple hour time difference is enough to make connections to some places difficult and can result in unwanted overnights. Down the road you might want to consider checking out the Pacific, especially if you have more than a week. Sure it's a long flight, but airfares also often have little to do with distance. For example you can catch Philippines Airlines offering great sale fares from the west coast, I've periodically seen ~$750 from LAX to Manila or Cebu. While that flight is long, overall travel time can be less. Once you get there it's cheap, even for fairly nice places. No shortage of local culture and mostly way better diving than the Caribbean. Something to think about. Thailand is another place that could be inexpensive, though I'm unfamiliar with airfares to there.

Virgin Gorda is good. You can stay at a hotel and rent a car. Dive BVI does a good job as a dive operation. The area is fished heavily. You sometimes see squirrel fish for sale in the local markets.

Cayman Brac has very good diving both shore and boat. There are two operators. You can rent a condo or stay at Brac Reef Resort. I really like Brac.

If you like out islands, you might try Salt Cay in the Turks and Caicos. They have a good dive op. The diving is good. When I was there, I met the majority of the people on the island. Things can be a bit basic. If you want more, there is Grand Turk seven miles north.

Allow me to second the nomination of Saba. It may have the best diving I have found in the Caribbean.

Thanks for your inputs! Good info. I've just always seen only $$$ flights to Bonaire.

I find Cayman is more expensive food and lodging wise than Bonaire imho. We now rent a house in Cayman on the West side and love it.

I want to hit up little corn island!

Back
Top Bottom