Looking for a pirate ship...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanMist333

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If anyone has seen a pirate ship, please let me know because I'd like to dive on it. It has to be a real pirate ship though. Blackbeard or Haggard the Horrible must have been on it when it sunk. None of this Johnny Depp business. Real pirates, real ship.

:swordfight::pirate2::pirate4:

Nope. I really want to find a pirate ship.... the silence was not by choice. The politics of SB got in the way. Obviously moderators can break all the policy they want, yet when I do it's "offensive." Kind of like the police can enforce all they want, but break the law all the time and do so as they please. Oh well.

COPY that. They do the same thing to me for being 'snarky' God forbid anyone makes any kind of contrarian comment on any subject that they deem 'offensive' they kill the post. I'm going to start my own site, these guys are punks.

Heck, I never toed the party line ... I went toe to toe with NetDoc and other insiders; more than a few times; yet they invited me to join the gang, makes one wonder what the differences are?

When it comes to "real" pirate ships ... I'd hesitate to take you on expedition, so may I suggest: Sunken Pirate Ship.

I'll settle for an old Spanish galleon in the 15-20 foot depth range off of south florida. Being occupied by a pirate is not a requirement.

If anyone has seen a pirate ship, please let me know because I'd like to dive on it.

come on down to Jacksonville

just off St. Augustine lays the wreck of the Calico Jack (ex-Spanish frigate "Olor a Rana"). the Jack was taken by a mostly English crew and captained by the (illegitimate) son of Jean Fleury, Jacques Aramis.

they heard that there was good booty to be had in North Florida, so they headed up here and hooked up with the French at Ft. Caroline. unfortunately, they got caught in the storm that wrecked the ill-advised French raid on St. Augustine and sank with a loss of all hands.

the great thing about the Jack is that, unlike most ships of the era, it was predominately made out of a bronze-brass alloy (the King of Spain had commissioned it as an experiment, but it proved too costly, so no other ships of the class were built)

thus, unlike wooden ships of the era, the Jack is still fairly in one piece.

you need to be able to dive to 430 feet. i have only done it once, but the sight of the ship was worth it. incredibly, the Jolly Roger still flies from the mizzenmast, which still stands (the mainmast and the foremast broke off and are just by the ship).

come on down to Jacksonville

just off St. Augustine lays the wreck of the Calico Jack (ex-Spanish frigate "Olor a Rana"). the Jack was taken by a mostly English crew and captained by the (illegitimate) son of Jean Fleury, Jacques Aramis.

they heard that there was good booty to be had in North Florida, so they headed up here and hooked up with the French at Ft. Caroline. unfortunately, they got caught in the storm that wrecked the ill-advised French raid on St. Augustine and sank with a loss of all hands.

the great thing about the Jack is that, unlike most ships of the era, it was predominately made out of a bronze-brass alloy (the King of Spain had commissioned it as an experiment, but it proved too costly, so no other ships of the class were built)

thus, unlike wooden ships of the era, the Jack is still fairly in one piece.

you need to be able to dive to 430 feet. i have only done it once, but the sight of the ship was worth it. incredibly, the Jolly Roger still flies from the mizzenmast, which still stands (the mainmast and the foremast broke off and are just by the ship).

H2Andy, this is great info. Please don't waste your time trying to give this guy a real answer, it just encourages him. :wink: Just look at his history.....full o' $h!t in the extreme :wink:

well i didn't tell him the coordinates were 25°6′24″N 80°25′48″W

Back
Top Bottom