looking for a semi-lively/relaxing area with decent diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltySpit

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, I am trying to jump start my planning of an indo trip that I should have started planning a month or two ago...but back then I was convinced I wouldn't have the cash. Now, I am convinced I cannot afford to miss the chance to dive the area...I have only a few weeks to put this together, so I am looking for anyone who can point me in the right direction, immediately!

:)

Basically, I have nine days to travel with...So I am looking for an area in Indonesia (or possibly Malaysia) that is relatively inexpensive, has a semi-lively but relaxing atmosphere, is relatively easy to get in and out of by plane and/or ferry, and has some good/decent diving. Any suggestions?

I won't have the availability to dive the whole time because I will be traveling with some people who don't dive...so having some other things to do in the area like restaurants or bars, relaxing beach life, etc. is pretty crucial.

If you have done a lot of traveling in other parts of South East Asia, I am looking for something similar to Boracay or Panglao (Alona Beach) in the Philippines, or Koh Tao/Koh Samui in Thailand...somewhat touristy, but enough off the beaten path so that it isn't crazy expensive. Any advice will be greatly appreciated given that time is of the essence!

Thanks in advance...

So here are a few suggestions:

Check out Gili Islands off of Lombok - fly ito denspasar bali then head to padangbai - from there take a ferry. I never make it off of bali but the scene is sposto be chill with decent diving & bali should keep the others happy ;-).

I've been to many backpacker dive sites in SE Asia, maybe you would like Bunakan in the north of Sulewesi? Airasia flys there now. Not much to do in town. Deffinately not like Thailand.

Also sipadan in the north of boreno is very cool but again its not like thailand.

If your use to thailand I think bali/lombok might be a better vacation.

If your friends do not dive and not into snorkelling then they may not enjoy the Gili Islands (not much to do there but eat slepp swim dive snorkel).

Better plan would be get some real cheap accommodation around the Kuta area (can for around $30 a night or better). From there thee are a number of operators than can get you diving anywhere from Nusa Pendia to Tulamben/Amed on a single day. Leaves your friends to go surfing trekking or what ever. Or look in the surfing spots in Bali for cheap accomodation as well and still lots of options for your friends to do stuff (uluwatu for examle)

One of the other places you may consider is Ko Phi Phi in Thailand. It is generally more expensive than Phuket but you can still find affordable accommodations on the island and the diving is cheaper than Phuket due to the proximity to the dive sites.

Quite a few restaurants and bars. Your travel companions can also do watersports (snorkelling, wakeboarding, kayaking, etc.).

Check the report on Padang Bai. None divers can hire a car or a car and explore the area, take the bus to Ubud, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom