Looking for advice for 1st bp/wings purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
Well, I just sold my scubapro bcd/air2 and I'm about to purchase my first bp/wings and I'm not sure what's best. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money if I can help it and I want the flexibility to be able to use a single Al 80 as well as either double LP 72's or double al 80's with the same wing. Is this possible or will single tank on a doubles wing (or vise/versa) just not work well? I'm totally ignorant when it comes to bp/wings setups so any advice is welcome. I've looked at the models that FredT sells and am leaning towards an aluminum one with something like a 36lb wing.

I'm 6'2", 175 lbs and will usually be using a single al 80 in freshwater with a 6-7mm wetsuit with trips to florida as well. I want something that I can use either with a thick wetsuit or with just a bathing suit in the keys. I usually use 12 lbs of lead on my waist in freshwater with a full 6 or 7mm suit and al80 and 6 lbs in saltwater with the same setup and no wetsuit. I don't really mind wearing a little extra weight on my weightbelt. I was thinking of using the alum FredT bp with a heavy single tank adapter to get a little weight off my belt possibly. Like I said, any help is greatly appreciated... I need to get one soon so I can go diving again... I'm shipping my bcd off in a few days... HELP!!!.

I had started out using a dive rite trek wing (without bungees) for single tank and it was pretty bad and I have the photos to back that up. Someone said I looked like an angel with my wings flapping in the current. I got that hot dog bun affect on my single tank, however that wing is great with my double lp 85's and when I use double al80's. I went out and bout the 27# pioneer wing for use with my single tank and I couldn't be happier with it. So to answer your question, yes you can use one wing for both, but in my opinion its not the best way to go.

I wasn't sure that I'd like the BP/Wing setup so I took the Wing off my Ranger BC and put it on an aluminum BP that I got from Gary Hoadly on ebay. I've liked it so much I just haven't got around to getting a new wing. It has a 44lb lift, I think, that is supposed to be good for a single or small doubles... at least that's what they say.

The wing has two little flaps with buckles on each side that are designed to keep the wing from wrapping around a single tank. I used some small webbing to attach these flaps to the waist belt of my BP harness so that there was no restriction of the wing fully inflating, but when only partially inflated, it didn't flap around. So far I"ve experienced no air trapping, imbalance, etc. I THINK there is a wing out there (deep outdoors? abyss?) that also has this feature.

I currently dive with either an HP80 or AL80. I'll be doubling up the HP80's soon though. From what I"ve read on this board, a 45lb wing is perfect for these doubles.

Tony

jamiei once bubbled...
what about the wings with bellows(sp?). Would that make any difference? I definately don't want a lot of drag.

IMO, There is no equal to the wings Halcyon currently sells. But,,,, Oxycheq, Dive Rite, and OMS are coming out with Halcyon clones within the next month or so. I particularly like what I see on the OxyCheq wings. Competition is a good thing.

I forgot about the air trapping when I was using the larger wing with the single tank, ugh....it took an act of God just to use the rear dump, but I finally figured out there was a trick to it.

Since you are located in GA why don't you just drive down to cave country. Rent your self a bp/wing set up with the size wing you are thinking about getting and go over to Ginnie Springs and try it out. That way you won't end up with something that sounded like a good idea, but sucked in the water. Extreme Exposure rents gear and I think that Ginnie does also.

Oh and maybe some divers in the area that are on the board will let you try out their set ups as well.

I have been using the Halcyon Stainless steel backplate with either the pioneer (single) or explorer (doubles) for the past couple of years and I could not be happier. Using the same backplate and gear configuration makes it very easy to switch between rig setups and have everything in the same place.

Anyway, just my opinion.

LVX

I use Halcyon 27lb wing with single tanks + Aluminum BP/Harness. It has just the right amount of lift and is very streamlined. For Dbl al 80's you could probably get away with Dive Rites Rec wing..40# of lift, or Deep Outdoors 40# wing. Both can be used with singles or doubles as long as you aren't planning on carrying stages with your doubles.

I would definitely get he Halcyon harness and back plate setup. The size of the wings depends on the size of your tanks and your weight.

like I said in my orig post, I'll only be using either steel lp 72s or alum 80's for a doubles setup on the rare occassion that I would use doubles in the near future. I don't see myself doing any very deep/extensive decompression dives for a long time anyway either so I won't be using anything other than the doubles themselves. I'm leaning more towards a FredT backplate because I've heard a lot of good things about them and they are a bit cheaper.

Does anybody have a used Halcyon wing they'ld like to sell??? I think I might settle for the pioneer 27# for now unless I can find a pioneer and explorer at good prices. Thanks for all the info/comments so far guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom