Looking for advice for 1st bp/wings purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that's a Halcyon backplate problem - the Halcyon plates are getting to be known for having a rough finish and sharp bits. I've just replaced my harness webbing because of a sharp slot that cut the webbing, apparently people have been getting plates with sharp edges as well now. My plate doesn't have that problem.

It's a backplate problem, not a wing problem. The Halcyon backplate has bent bottom corners, supposedly to stop the plate from digging into your lower back, but it pushes them against the wing - if they're sharp, it's like having a bare knife blade mounted against your wing.

Fine sandpaper would fix it.

I would venture to say there its quite possible there's a significant differance between any two different designer's backplates. Every little difference in an angle or bend makes a difference. Apparently, other people's backplates are more suited for use with Pioneer wing's than Halcyon's in many circumstances... I don't see how Halcyon has let things like rough/sharp backplates go when they should know the consequences. Quality control may need some work.

In Australia UWB and blackart (changing) recomended you rub all slots down prior to fitting harness as standard.
It only takes an hour and gives great satisfaction.

when you buy the Halycon system, the harness is already rigged up... and I think all Halcyon plates have a fancy coating on them them that you would mess up by doing that. For their prices, it should be right. FredT's plates are great, are smoothed nicely (if you buy it finished), and are cheaper....

FredT, how bout a single tank wing???

I have a FredT regular size bp (large) and it seems to fit me well. My height comes more from my legs than my torso. That was a slight concern for me since I was borderline on needing a larger plate, but in taking my proportions into consideration I opted for the regular size.

After viewing their site, I see that my standard size FredT bp is 15.5" compared to their !5" standard length. I think for me, neither their 15" or 17" bp would work. What I have is just right. Thanks for the info though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom