Looking for advice for 1st bp/wings purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamie,

Get the Halcyon if you don't mind risking the fact it may develop a hole - Halcyon customer service is excellent, and they replaced mine no-questions-asked when it developed a seam leak (they won't pop like a balloon), despite the fact I'd done a chopjob and removed the internal STA and aquasealed the slits.

The new Oxycheq wings look nice, but I don't think they have an internal bladder either.

jamiei once bubbled...
obviously it won't lose its air like a balloon, but if the bladder is close to full/under pressure it seems like any sharp object will "pop" a hole.
Which can be said for pretty much any BC. The material of the pioneer is pretty tough, the seams are the weak link....but again, this is the same for any BCD.

If you take care of it, it will take care of you:)

Scubaroo once bubbled...

The new Oxycheq wings look nice, but I don't think they have an internal bladder either.

Have you seen them and touched them yet? I'm really wondering if they are going to have the integrated STA or not.....

jamiei once bubbled...
Like I said, I am a fan of Halcyon equipment, but I'm not gonna say that anything other than Halcyon "probably won't function properly".

I said that because no other manufacturer is making a circular style single tank wing like the Pioneer. The circular style seems to work better than the "horseshoe" type. I've heard about the OxyCheck wings but, I don't think they are out yet.

JeffG, have you read the threads about holes in the pioneer wings? You don't see posts like those about every other bc out there. Most bc's, as I said, have an exterior, protective shell and an interior air bladder. I can't remember ever reading any other thread on this board about any other model of bc/wing having so many instances of leaks. I did see several pictures of people having to put a big aquaseal patch on their pioneer though.

Does anyone know the exact composition of the pioneer bladder? Is it rubberized or is it the same tough nylon exterior that most wings have? Is there a rubber coating on the inside or what?

Again, I like Halcyon stuff, but for the price of the pioneer wing, it shouldn't be having the number of problems we're hearing about. From what I have heard, the 36 lb wing is having more trouble with the seams due to the bellows and the 27 lb is just suffering from punctures and abrasion holes. For it to be so tough, seems like it abraids quite easily at bp contact points. I'll hold off as long as I can before I purchase a single wing, be it a halcyon or other brand just to see what happens. I had looked forward to buying a used pioneer wing, but its just not worth the risk. I'll buy new with warranty from a dealer with a good reputation just to be sure they don't say, nope that hole isn't our fault.

EZ,
You can't use it with a bp(without modifying it), but dive rite makes the travel wing... Did the older pioneer wings have this problem or is it limited more to the newer ones and those with the integrated STA? (Not being sarcastic, just simply asking a question here...) Why is it that a circular wing works better with a single tank? Is it simply because it keeps the wing from wrapping around the tank or is it because the air flows better around the wing??? If its simply for keeping the wing from wrapping around the tank, who says that a horseshoe wing couldn't be fitted to where you could physically connect the tips of the wings to prevent this when using a single tank?

jamiei once bubbled...
JeffG, have you read the threads about holes in the pioneer wings? You don't see posts like those about every other bc out there. <snip>

I saw the threads, but my guess would be that it has more to do with the storage of the Pioneer than the material. (For the Hole type punctures)

Being just a flat bag, it can get stuck in lots of places that the other BC types could never get into.

jamiei once bubbled...
<sniP>Why is it that a circular wing works better with a single tank? Is it simply because it keeps the wing from wrapping around the tank or is it because the air flows better around the wing??? If its simply for keeping the wing from wrapping around the tank, who says that a horseshoe wing couldn't be fitted to where you could physically connect the tips of the wings to prevent this when using a single tank?

Air flow (no air trapping), and the size is right so that it doesn't taco.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Have you seen them and touched them yet? I'm really wondering if they are going to have the integrated STA or not.....
Unfortunately people don't see value in sending me free merchandise :(

Scott has said in a thread elsewhere that they will not have an integrated STA - you get to bolt your very own on.

most of the probs I saw were from holes being worn in the wing from contact with the bp... a halcyon bp at that and about where the wing comes together at the bottom (and most were almost new). It couldn't possibly be the wing or the bp though...

jamiei once bubbled...
most of the probs I saw were from holes being worn in the wing from contact with the bp... a halcyon bp at that and about where the wing comes together at the bottom (and most were almost new). It couldn't possibly be the wing or the bp though...

Interesting....I will take a look at my wing tomorrow (before I jump into the water) and see if there is any "wear" spots. I could see if the wing was loose and moved around a spot could be worn through, but I would hazard a guess that it would be by the "sta" rods and not on the bladder.

Now I have a DIY bp and not the Halcyon but I can't see what the difference would be.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom