Looking for operator who does advanced night diving trips in Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Dr. Jeff Hester

Dr. Jeff Hester

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving Cozumel regularly for 30 years, so know the area and the reefs well. While nothing would tear me away from Dive With Cristina during the day, I would also like to spend a few nights doing 2-tank night dives on more interesting parts of the reef than Paraiso and Chankana'ab. Can anyone recommend an operator? I'll be there first week in October.

That is not something we have done previously, but I would be willing to do it for you provided we have enough divers to fill the boat or you are willing to rent a private charter.

Alternatively, check out Robert Stansfield and his Blackwater diving. It is only one dive, but its extremely different than what you are used to so maybe worth th elook. He usually does these on a larger boat with larger groups, but any small private groups he has used my boats in the past.

I've been diving Cozumel regularly for 30 years, so know the area and the reefs well. While nothing would tear me away from Dive With Cristina during the day, I would also like to spend a few nights doing 2-tank night dives on more interesting parts of the reef than Paraiso and Chankana'ab. Can anyone recommend an operator? I'll be there first week in October.
Blue Angel has taken me on night dives at San Clemente and Villablanca. The one at San Clemente was in May and it was great! We had the reef completely to ourselves until the last 10 minutes or so when one other boat showed up. My wife got tons of Octopus Show video.

This is actually something we were thinking about for our next trip as well since night dives are my favorites out there and it would be great to get two tanks at a time.

I would also like to spend a few nights doing 2-tank night dives on more interesting parts of the reef than Paraiso and Chankana'ab. Can anyone recommend an operator? I'll be there first week in October.
If you're down to try something a little different, Aldora offer Blackwater diving excursions:

I have used Bottom Time Divers for night dives and these are generally a single dive after two day dives. However, we have done a twilight and night dive for two tanks. We have done many dives on Cedral Pass, top of San Francisco wall, Santa Rosa (top), Dalila and La Francesa and Villablanca (if everyone outvotes me :).) I can't say I have ever done two night dives. You would get back around 11 pm as an average. Maybe later depending on where you stay. Sunset is about 6:30 pm the first part of October.
Be good at ducking behind coral heads. Cedral pass can be fast and it's not long.

In years past, we stayed south before I lived here and Raul (DM/Owner) would come down south. Lately if we have only two divers then he stays closer to Fonatur marina due to costs which means Paraiso normally unless he has other divers staying south. Then we dive southern sites.

I can say generally on the southern reefs mentioned above, you won't see other boats/divers on night dives. We generally don't do the walls at night for unpredictable currents (the out and/or down kind). The Palancar and Colombia sites are too far for one tank dives. Your chances of going further south increase with two tanks.

I would contact him and let him know what you want and he can tell if he can accommodate you. He will most likely poll his current divers. He wouldn't go out for a single diver. On the other hand, if you pay alot, he'll go (like rent the boat).
btw San Francisco and Santa Rosa should be closed if they are maintaining the reef closure rotation in October and November. I have not seen an update to the 2020 closure list.
Not alot of people want two night dives. If any dive op has morning two tank dives, then doing two night dives makes for a long crew day.

This is actually something we were thinking about for our next trip as well since night dives are my favorites out there and it would be great to get two tanks at a time.
Many ops do a twilight / night dive combo, but I don't know of any that do 2 tank night dives. That would mean getting back very late, especially in the summertime.

Many ops do a twilight / night dive combo, but I don't know of any that do 2 tank night dives. That would mean getting back very late, especially in the summertime.
I am now looking into that too as at least on one night it would be good to see the active animal exchange. Last time out I only did two single night dives and the first one was one of my favorite dives, ever. Similar to the OP I also want to be farther away from the main areas. On my second dive later in the week we were minutes from the dock and there were so many boats there, it was like a boardwalk underwater.

For doing two tanks at full dark, I personally wouldn't mind shorter surface intervals in the evening, but we would still be back late. It looks like Sunset drops to near 6 when we will be out so maybe dark around 7. I'm hoping that we have some good options as this time around as I am traveling with 5 people and almost everyone plans on getting around 20 dives in.

Back
Top Bottom