Looking for operator who does advanced night diving trips in Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Dr. Jeff Hester

Dr. Jeff Hester

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving Cozumel regularly for 30 years, so know the area and the reefs well. While nothing would tear me away from Dive With Cristina during the day, I would also like to spend a few nights doing 2-tank night dives on more interesting parts of the reef than Paraiso and Chankana'ab. Can anyone recommend an operator? I'll be there first week in October.

I think you should give Robert the acknowledgement and credit he deserves.
lionfish-eater do you have time to draft a paragraph on Robert with all you want to see added? We would be glad to add to our article.

Background :

There are two primary operators that do Blackwater in Cozumel as far as I know. Stingray has listed both, which seems fair. I assume Stingray doesn’t want to choose sides. ( I don’t either—I have used both before and hope to use both again )

Robert Stansfield operates under the business name Blackwater Cozumel as far as I can tell (I don’t think his name is even on their website btw ). Stingray might add his name into the Cozumel Blackwater description but not exactly their fault since his name doesn’t appear to be on what I think is his website. They use their Facebook page a lot more I believe but I am not in Facebook.

Aldora also does blackwater. I think Robert does blackwater more frequently but Aldora has also been doing it for quite a while (maybe even longer ?) . Robert is basically a professional underwater photographer (specializing in Blackwater) who organizes boat charters to do blackwater. Robert is an excellent photographer, worth following if you like blackwater. Aldora is obviously a full service dive operator with their own boats and staff—they do blackwater as part of their broader operation.

Dressel @ Iberostar does night dives at the Southern sites.
Many (most?) Cozumel dive ops do night dives, but blackwater dives are different. They are done farther offshore in very deep water.

The OP didnt ask for blackwater.
True, but a blackwater dive certainly falls under the heading of an "advanced night dive", as requested.

I've done one blackwater dive with Aldora -- it was very different than a typical night dive. Out in the channel, the only reference point during the dive is the weighted rope with lights to attract critters. Current and the motion of sealife give the impression that you're ascending or descending, so awareness and control of buoyancy are important. There's no sensation of horizontal movement. It's easy to become target fixated when you're trying to look at a translucent creature an inch long (or less), with only a black background.

Not to say that this is some incredibly difficult dive, but it may be of interest to the OP.

I'd do it again, despite my experience where the current reversed itself during the dive and we were pushed to shallow water with little sea life.

The OP didnt ask for blackwater.
True, but night dives on the southern reefs are not necessarily (or even often) advanced night dives, which is what the OP was asking about. Blackwater dives are, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom