Looking to buy a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it's well beyond your price-range, but if you convince yourself to pick up a Galileo Luna you won't be disappointed.

I'm a big fan of Suunto. I love my Vyper as I have a nice watch, otherwise if you want a watch style think D4 or D6.

Another vote for TUSA IQ-700 wrist mount. Very intuitive...I never use the manual.

I like my Suunto Gekko. They're still available at a decent price. I've used mine since my first OW dive, on air and nitrox. for the OP's price range, you'll find a multitude of computers that will do the job.

I have a suunto D6 - used to go with a mosquito. Quite happy with both. Durable, easy to operate reasonable battery longeivity.

I only did the upgrade because i had a bargain and wanted something i could wear in everyday life. The gekko and mosquito really are fine in most cases and I know quite a few shops and resorts that use the gekko with their DMs and school kits because its simple, affordable, compact and easy to use.

to my own surprise ive had good use of the digital compass in the D6 as a spare on courses, travelling and hiking etc, i also like to be able to watch my profile graphically and track all changes onscreen. The 50% optional rgbm algorithm reduction fits my diving purposes rather well. The optional deep stop feature (in place of traditional safetystop) I've found to be a little impractical depending on the dive situation but thats just personal taste i guess. THe freedive feature is cool and of course it has nitrox as well.

The elastomer straps however, although kind of cool looking dont stand up too well to heavy use (it may be better on the gekko) and ive heard say that the titanium ones which is about the price of a gekko in itself dont fit too well unless you have huge wrists. also you cant change the battery yourself like you could witht he mosquito.

But you know, unless you are big on the aestaethics of the thing and plan to wear it daily or REALLY need various extra features - a cheap simple computer of a good make seems like a fine solution to me in so many cases.

For that price range, you are looking at the top end of the spectrum of wrist watches with transmitters, from someone like Oceanic, Tusa, Mares and still have ALOT of money left over.

Suunto is a great brand. It is also a bit more conservative than the others.

What brand do you dive w/? If you tell me something like Oceanic, you don't want to buy a Suunto, alg's are too far off. Get something that will be close to compatibility to what you run if you are going to be here partner most of the time.

User friendly is always a plus. Warranty service is also something else to thing about.

Pricing example:

For that price, you could buy 2 VT3 watches and just add a transmitter later that you could monitor between the two of you. Either that or buy a VT3 PDC complete w/ transmitter and cable and spend an extra $ 125ish instead of $800 so you could cover an additional VT3 receiver for yourself to monitor her. Then again, drop $300 on a new model Geo and move on. You can do the same thing w/ other brands if you shop around. Check w/ your local LDS also, not just the net.

Would you consider adopting? :D

I'm another one for the Suunto Gekko. I find it very easy to use and like Brian Sharpe said, it is well under your budget.

For that price range, you are looking at the top end of the spectrum of wrist watches with transmitters, from someone like Oceanic, Tusa, Mares and still have ALOT of money left over.

Suunto is a great brand. It is also a bit more conservative than the others.

What brand do you dive w/? If you tell me something like Oceanic, you don't want to buy a Suunto, alg's are too far off. Get something that will be close to compatibility to what you run if you are going to be here partner most of the time.

User friendly is always a plus. Warranty service is also something else to thing about.

Pricing example:

For that price, you could buy 2 VT3 watches and just add a transmitter later that you could monitor between the two of you. Either that or buy a VT3 PDC complete w/ transmitter and cable and spend an extra $ 125ish instead of $800 so you could cover an additional VT3 receiver for yourself to monitor her. Then again, drop $300 on a new model Geo and move on. You can do the same thing w/ other brands if you shop around. Check w/ your local LDS also, not just the net.

Would you consider adopting? :D
well you hit it right on the head, ive got the oceanic vt3 and that was a option to get him the same setup and put his transmiter on my watch so i could watch his air.

If it helps, I've just bought a Suunto Gekko and tried it out on my 12th dive, very happy with it.

Get this:
Oceanic VEO 180 Wrist Scuba Diving Computer

and spend the other $500 on something nice for yourself!

I own a Oceanic Veo 180 and I would say ... spend the other $500 on batteries for the Veo.
I own it for 8 months now, third battery is in the computer. :furious:

Back
Top Bottom