Loss of life yesterday in Sharm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String, Red Sea Shadow *** is going on in Dahab? I am due to dive there in a month and I am thinking control your depth... but... is it something else? I don't get it. These are qualified divers and I am starting to think equipment, air, ego, what? I don't mean to disrespect anyone or especially the ones (and families) who have lost their lives but what can we learn from this?

String, Red Sea Shadow *** is going on in Dahab? I am due to dive there in a month and I am thinking control your depth... but... is it something else? I don't get it. These are qualified divers and I am starting to think equipment, air, ego, what? I don't mean to disrespect anyone or especially the ones (and families) who have lost their lives but what can we learn from this?
Dahab has nothing to do with this.

Both victims were from Sharm (with their gear and tanks) so Dahab is not involved here.

Unfortunately we could learn nothing unless we have full info. Till now nothing official was issued.

Qualified divers sometimes do dull things. Most of the blue hole deaths are people doing too much without the right gear or gases or traininh.

The type of diives these people are doing are completely different from a standard bells to blue hole dive which is nothing more than a wall dive and totally benign.

Just update with more details. The person was using a twinset which had been filled with a nitrox mix the previous day. It was filled up with air (the plannd gas for that depth) however it had not been fully emptied. The result was instead of 21% it contained roughly 28% due to it being a top off. The tank was not analysed and simply dived.

so the women who died toxed then??

Toxed or started to recognise the start of one and panicked. Apparently regulator was rejected and a rapid ascent to 20m. Could have been lung expansion as a result of lifting a toxing diver or simply panic breath holding while ascending.

String, thanks for the update. This just breaks my heart - I know a few who worked with her. I would normally never think of analyzing a tank of 21% air - if that is what I ordered. Only nitrox. What is the protocol for those filling air at this shop? (or maybe it was a self fill - not sure) Question I guess is, do shops normally test the 02 content on every fill which is sold to a customer?

No shops do not test every fill.

But every DIVER should test every fill!

Tragic and completely avoidable if this is indeed what happened.

Whether I requested trimix, nitrox or simply air, I cannot imagine diving any tank I didn't personally analyze and mark right before the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom