Lost my log - now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to think about keeping a log book. Then I never dove and so began to keep a virtual dive book. I write down information about places I would like to dive and say I did.

Hasn't slowed my dive career yet. I'm up to 476 dives (not really). Try it. No one ever asks to see it so you won't have to defend it.

My pictures are from books. nice, huh?

i just lost my log book too. I didnt go on any trips out of country, but just a standard dive to monterey. i looked in my room, in my car, and in my garage. there should be no other places that it should be.

I just bought a dive computer with the computer software and now thats how i log my dives. i only had 75 dives in my book, but i also had some of my cards and other business cards and contacts. go back and look everywhere, then look again. if you still cant find it, you are sol.

good luck and i hope you find yours

I'm sorry to hear you lost your log. I have always been worried about that, too, so...When I go anyplace to dive, I only take blank pages. I fill them out, have them stamped and signed (if I remember), and bring them home to go in the dive log. My actual log book stays home. That also makes for less weight and bulk to take.

I agree with Dive-aholic, I log my dives for professional purposes. Most commercial divers and older SCUBA divers tend to not log dives after a period of time because it is a hassel. But, it is the eaisiest way to move into the Instructor catagory if you can prove, in writing, how much experience you have. Other wise it's really only about keeping memories and your log becomes a journal.

Oh, I do reference back to check what weight I used with what rig or dive location. And it is a really good way of refreshing your self on techniques and, or how you handeled an emergency. Hind sight is always 20/20 and it is a good idea to rreview the past to prepare for the future.

I also keep the majority of my older entries in a binder on a shelf at home. I only carry the last few pages and blanks when I go dive.

Cudabait:
Susan,
When you finish the summary, with the total number of dives, take the document to a notary public and have it notorized.

As a former Notary Public, I can tell you that all this does is attest that YOU signed off on your own logbook - which is a given. Basically, having it notarized is overkill and buys you nothing.

I cant rememember when I stopped, probably around 300+ ish.... it was too much of a pain in the arse. Now I have a nice comp and I dl it, so i've started loggin again , but i am not going to ever use paper again. and if the comp didn't get , I don't care. I have enuf dives under my belt where the amount does not matter anymore. what's great tho, is that from my 1st open water dive, to every dive I do (usually once a week all year long at least, usually more in summer). I love being in the water and exploring around, finding stuff etc, taking pix or whatever.

the thrill is still there.

that's what matters to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom