Lost my log - now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susan, I have an excel spreadhseet I found on the web awhile back that I keep my dives logged on. If you would like a copy of it (or anyone else for that matter) PM me or send me an email at dale@@wolfpack764.com with your email and I'll send it out.. (Remove one of the @ signs. I do that so my address can't be scraped by spammers) Page 2 of the spreadsheet is the scary page. It lets you put in all your equipment and totals the cost of everything you put in there.. I would not recommend anyone filling out that page. :D

DaleHall:
Susan, I have an excel spreadhseet I found on the web awhile back that I keep my dives logged on. If you would like a copy of it (or anyone else for that matter) PM me or send me an email at dale@@wolfpack764.com with your email and I'll send it out.. (Remove one of the @ signs. I do that so my address can't be scraped by spammers) Page 2 of the spreadsheet is the scary page. It lets you put in all your equipment and totals the cost of everything you put in there.. I would not recommend anyone filling out that page. :D

or if you do, because you really think you want to know, be sure and password protect it from your significant other :wink:

Also, I cooked up a quick and dirty web-based divelog. Its what I use now. Ya, it may be a bit screwy, but it works. If I get more time, I'll add features to it. :D

http://misc.isengard.cc/divelog-0.1a.tar.gz

Be sure to read the README file...

Enjoy!

This is why I keep my log on my computer and then back it up in 2-3 different locations. :)

Susan,

You're not the first and won't be the last. My suggestion: Briefly summarize, in chronological order, the places where the dives were made, the number and types of dives, and the beginning and ending dates of each period when the dives were made. (i.e. dd/mm/yy to dd/mm/yy, 23 sport dives at laguna Beach Resort, Utila, Honduras) and so on. When you finish the summary, with the total number of dives, take the document to a notary public and have it notorized. Place of copy of the notorized document in your new log book and continue with next dive in numerical order.....in your case it would be approximately dive 72 or so. Chances there is a notory where you work...No one is really gonna question a part of a dive log which is , in fact, a legal document. By the way, Y'all still have to go diving with LaCuda and I.

Regards,

Just start a new one, and this time keep photo copies in a seperate place. I keep a spare copy of mine at the office in the filing cabinet.

<chuckles>
Let's not go overboard. A dive log is in no way, shape or form, a "legal document". It is written documentation of your dive history for your own record. True it may be requested to dive a certain spot or to take a certain class, but don't make it out to be more than what it is.

rakkis:
<chuckles>
Let's not go overboard. A dive log is in no way, shape or form, a "legal document". It is written documentation of your dive history for your own record. True it may be requested to dive a certain spot or to take a certain class, but don't make it out to be more than what it is.

No one said a dive log was a "legal document." Read a little closer........the part that is notorized and placed in the dive log is certainly a "legal document." Fact is, if she wanted she could have a whole dive log notorized and the it would be a "legal document. <ROLMFAO>

Regards,

I have my dive log, my pool log which I keep for DM and tax purposes(travel, equipment I provided, names, problems encountered and how they were resolved, etc). Then I have my log of expenses including gear, courses, travel etc. The last is the scary one! Amazing how it jumped from 2k to 12K plus in about 2 years!

Susan I'm sorry to hear of your loss. If you kept a good log that had a soul made of memories that's a bummer.

That's one reason that I keep mine in Excel, The paper copy in my log binder is just a copy. I can replace it at any time. I even back-up the file offsite just in case!

As for replacing it I think I'd sit down and write a narrative story of how you have progessed and include the highlights as you recall them. You can't unring the bell so salvage what you can.

My mom would suggest that you pray to St Anthony, I hope it turns up!

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom