Lost my log - now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep a log even though I use a computer it is a quick way to reference just how deep I went at a dive site currents temp etc... Havent had to show it to anyone yet.

NadMat,
How do you do it on the computer, do you have a specialized program (if so what is it) or do you just use Word or Excel?

Sadly, I and another instructor/friend are the only divers I know that log our dives consistantly. Mainly do it to log temp, currents, tide and surface conditions for future referance. Occasionaly I will mention points of interest.

I do a paper log and get it signed as often as possible and then transfer any data above and beyond temps and depths and NOX usage to my electronic log (provided by Citizen with the Cyber Aqualand NX) I then print out the computer log with any pictures I may have taken (it allows you to add a photo album to each log) and place that in a binder.

Go to the DIY forum, there are several good log fomats available there for electronic logs.

rje634:
NadMat,
How do you do it on the computer, do you have a specialized program (if so what is it) or do you just use Word or Excel?

I am actually experimenting with several formats, using Excel, Access, and am developing a custom program using several development enviroments that will allow me to keep info on handheld or laptop and allow me to sync the info. I intend to find some way to have my DC dump directly into program on either handheld or PC to ease data entry and many other features as well. There will be some limits to what you can do with a handheld vs. pc but I intend to have as much functionality as possible on the handheld device.

Kim:
Out of curiosity....do you use a computer, or tables and a watch? If it's a computer then all the dives you did using it will still be inside it I should imagine.

Yeah..what she said !

Most dive computers only store so many dives and then overwrite them

I keep a paper logbook, but I also wrote a simple php-based web log as well. I log my dives on location in the paper book, and when I get home I log them in more detail on the computer. I just prefer typing to handwriting.

Susan: Hope you find your log again. It's nice to be able to read through and 'relive' the dives every now and then.

I think the only place it might matter would be if you are going for you DM. Otherwise, just keep the cards.

Good luck.

Bjorn

P.S.: I don't log online. I'm not turning my logs over to someone else to lose. At least this way I can take responsibility of my logbooks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom