Low hanging of tanks, is this a specific fashion, ignorance, or normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might be onto something. :wink:

Attachments

• 5704.jpg
    5704.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,047
If others around them do it that way, most folks would never stop and consider whether it could be done differently, esp. if given even 1 good reason for the old standard, such as "you won't hit your head on the 1st stage". This configuration may also distribute weight well for them. I suspect that if they were to experiment (as most people never will), the whole package might feel more snug and natuarl if it were higher and hugged their back better. Trim pockets, heavy fins, even weights on the tank could make this higher configuration equally well balanced. These people would have to experiment and see for themselves what works best. Unfortunately most of them would be annoyed at the mere suggestion that something might be better done some other way.

So if you get lynched for suggesting a change, remember that you were warned :)

Last edited:
Could be these divers do it for weight distribution. I have mine very high due to legs like stone & negatively buoyant fins. I have never hit my head on the tank valve, and that's a thing I would probably wind up doing (knowing me) after 500 dives. Or could be they just don't know. I haven't seen this much that I can recall. In the 2nd photo (previous post) the guy doesn't have MOF, so he HAS to know what he's doing.

Sure about that? He's got a suicide clip on his gauges.

... and he's using split fins ... :shocked2: ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added May 14th, 2015 at 07:34 AM ----------

... back on topic ... what matters is how the tank trims in the water. If it's pulling their feet down, then it is probably too low. Then again, gotta wonder how many of these folks have been trained to dive foot-heavy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added May 14th, 2015 at 07:36 AM ----------

You might be onto something. :wink:

... looks a bit low to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It depends on the plate or bc used too.
some plates or bc's that hold the tank very far away from your back allow for the tank to be set higher because no matter how far back you tilt your head there's enough room that you won't hit your head.
Some bc and plate/pack designs allow for the tank to sit very close to your body so in that case the tank needs to be dropped a bit so you won't hang your head...just out of reach.
Back in the double hose days tanks needed be low to make the can sit over the lungs, and some people are into diving vintage gear.
And then also dry suit divers tend to ride the tank higher since they have an air bubble in their suit that helps manage the top heaviness of a high riding tank.
Wetsuit divers may tend to ride the tank lower since it can help even things out.
I've never had to do valve drills with a single tank so I don't fully understand why it's so critical to reach a tank valve. Don't people check their valves before they jump in?
Then finally, I know some SoCal bug divers that ride the tank super low just so they can reach back into holes further to grab bugs and not drag the reg on the ceiling.
Hey man, whatever works.

Maybe the ignorant low tankers need to be tied to a pole and whipped with long hoses and can light cords by the elitist high tankers. That might make a lot of people around here happy.

Seen this several times at our local dive park... and seen some of the tanks fall out of the tank straps, too. I wear mine higher and have dual tank bands... but I do occasionally hit my head on the valve when I try to look up (usually I look down for critters to film)

I think sometimes it's an exaggeration. It can be higher without hitting the head. Often it's not even using the fill length of the support area on the BCD and is not as stable as it could be. And I have also seen some slipping.
Being so low on the hips pushes them down (although maybe less with Al tanks, especially after they start to become more empty) and since they are being held at one end, all the movements the tank does and forces applied to it (current, its weight, buoyancy...) will have a stronger impact on the diver as the tank works as a lever.

I rig my tank to place the valve slightly above a line drawn through my shoulders once in the water. I use my crotch strap to limit forward or upward movement and my waist strap to secure my rig to me. I leave and set my shoulder straps very loose so as not to restrict my breathing or limit movement. This results in my tank being quite low when standing and not in water. I do not use doubles plates for single tank diving like most of you so therefore the tank sits right against my back and therefore must be lower.

Getting to the valve for whatever reason you can invent is not an issue and this method provides superior trim and stability. I think this year I will wear my tanks especially low just to aggravate know it alls.

I realize you guys like to overweight and with non-ditchable weight at that but aside from jumping in with your highly touted "team" baloney and your valve off exactly why do you need to be able to manipulate the valve again on a singles rig?

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom