LP Equipment - Can I use it right away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, I don't disagree with you one that one. I know how long an annual servicee takes too, as well as why replace new o-rings etc. I think a quick once over, confirm proper IP, etc. would not be un-reasonable, since they're assuming some liability if you're in their pool, but a full annual, no way. My question on brand authorization also stands, if they're not authorized/trained on the brand, they don't touch it.

takes 15 seconds (well, ok, 30 - you have to chuck it on a reg first :))

Frankly, putting it on a tank, turning it on, and listening for a "hiss" is enough in a pool. C'mon here - its not like you can't immediately come up to the surface if it starts doing something odd on you! This is a POOL, for crying out loud!

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

I'd have liked to see how he did that, since the water pump runs off the timing belt and it's 4 hours labour to remove/replace the belt and I'd like an explanation how the serpentine belt failing would cause an overheat, as the water pump would still run and the fan is electric and doesn't even come on at highway speeds. The serpentine belt runs the alternator and the power steering and I know from experience, unless you turn on the headlights, you can manage an hours driving with it broken. All told they paid almost $200 for a $15 dollar bearing and wouldn't let me re-imburse them. I didn't tell them they'd been had, just thanked them for repairing it. To top it all off, I had to replace it again in 6 months as it's hadn't been aligned properly.

Might be off topic but what kind of car do you own? Water pump on a timing belt? I doubt that. If water pump bearings go, timing belt jumps, timing goes out, valves crash into pistons........... you get the point. Water pumps will fail, not a question of if but when.

Their objection makes no sense. This is brand new equipment from reputable manufacturers and a reputable seller. The equipment was manufactured the the proper specifications, checked by the manufacturer before it left the factory, and then assembled and checked by LeisurePro before it was sent to you. What could the LDS possibly do? A little tweaking of the settings? Not necessary for safety. A rebuild? Not needed, its new. Besides, who would you trust to build/rebuild it properly in the first place, the manufacturer or the LDS tech?

The only thing the LDS can do that makes any sese is a cursory overview of the equipment to verify that it was assembled correctly and functions properly. What is that worth? IMHO, they shouldn't charge you anything in this case, since they promised you the pool time as part of the class and this serves them, not you. If you did elect to pay them for this, I would say $5-$15 is reasonable, and absolutely no more than $30.

For comparison, I bought a used Dacor first stage off eBay for $20 as a backup/stage regulator. I brought it to my LDS and asked them about rebuilding it for me, since I knew nothing of its history. They did not have a rebuild kit for it, but they brought me back to the shop, disassembled it, did a visual inspection, cleaned and lubed the o-rings, checked the intermediate pressure, and told me that it wasn't performing perfectly, but it should be fine for a year or so. They gave it back to me, told me to have a great time with it, no charge, and asked me to let them know in advance when I would like it fully serviced so they could order the parts kit. Yeah, I can have my gear rebuilt cheaper elsewhere... but I won't. I trust them. Do you trust this shop to treat you properly?

yknot once bubbled...

Might be off topic but what kind of car do you own? Water pump on a timing belt? I doubt that. If water pump bearings go, timing belt jumps, timing goes out, valves crash into pistons........... you get the point. Water pumps will fail, not a question of if but when.
1994 Dodge mini van, with a 3.0L It's not a zero clearance engine, timing belt breaks or jumps, engine stops. Pistons do not meet the valves, no damage caused.
I know the picture all too well, my brothers Jetta diesel broke a belt, destroyed the engine. Recommended replacment was 100K, broke at 108K. Work order when he dropped it at the dealer for it's 100K service said "Do whatever is required", dealer didn't replace it, in fact all they did was an oil change. After my brother brought in his copy of the work order, the dealer bought him a new engine, no lawyer required (which would have been his next step). He ended up paying $500 of it, which is the book cost to replace the timing belt.
I also had a 1990 Voyager, same engine, till it wore out (330,000km/206,000 miles). I put on 2 timing belts and one water pump while I had it. The current one had a new timing belt when a head gasket went 3 years ago, and another last spring when a crank seal went. At that time the mechanic recommended a new water pump as it was a $75 part and a lot of labour to get there, so I took his advice.

We now return to your regularly scheduled topic. KNOW YOUR GEAR!!! Applies to cars, boats, SCUBA, etc. Too many people, put too much faith in someone else to keep equipment that their life depends on in shape. Sit and listen to the Coast Guard on VHF on a summer weekend. And you thought there were unsafe divers. :boom:

Groundhog246 bubbled....

KNOW YOUR GEAR!!! Applies to cars, boats, SCUBA, etc.

I go through this with a sailboat I race. Lots of stuff to look at evrytime we put it in the water. Loosing a mast in heavy air wouldn't be a fun activity. I'd compare it to a catasrophic HP hose failure. Things are going to get real ugly, real fast! So I look and test the things that get hard use everytime we go out to make sure they're functional.

I guess I'm about to find out about the LDS I've been patronizing. Bought a use reg set purported to have been recently serviced, but buyer suggested (rightfully so) to have it checked out anyway. Going to go see how that goes this morning.

I've bought some new stuff from LP. Assembled it myself, cursory pool checkout, and everything's been fine.

But then I'm a big fan of personal responsibility. I think it's on me to understand my equipment sufficiently to handle any unforeseen problems.

Whatever happened to that phiolosophy in this society?

Ryan

personally if it were me i would find another shop, but before doing so i would send a note to the better business Berau (sp?) and let them know your distrust of this shop and attempted fraud

also where are you located ? and what is the shop ?

Genesis once bubbled...
takes 15 seconds (well, ok, 30 - you have to chuck it on a reg first :))

Frankly, putting it on a tank, turning it on, and listening for a "hiss" is enough in a pool. C'mon here - its not like you can't immediately come up to the surface if it starts doing something odd on you! This is a POOL, for crying out loud!

Yea, and what if the first stage suddenly comes loose at the swivel and he is rocketed through the skylight of the pool enclosure. Who's gonna pay for the new skylight, Mr. Brilliant!!!

HeHe j/k:D

SMKChef once bubbled...
Yea, and what if the first stage suddenly comes loose at the swivel and he is rocketed through the skylight of the pool enclosure. Who's gonna pay for the new skylight, Mr. Brilliant!!!

HeHe j/k:D
What???? Total first stage failure would only release gas at the rate allowed by the tank valve at full open. If this was enough air to rocket someone around, then divers would be in danger of having the tank fly away if they accidentally opened the valve too far without a first stage mounted. This is somthing I have never seen or heard of. It would take a total tank valve failure to achieve the effect you describe. Be realistic, or was an attempt at sarcasm?

Um... I think the "hehe j/k :D" gives it away that it was a joke.

posted by raybo
Whatever happened to that phiolosophy in this society?

I believe "What do you mean you ate 4000 Big Mac's and gained weight! McDonalds should not have let you eat all of those. You should sue" trial lawyers and the "give us all of your income so you can protect you from everything" politicians have completely ruled out any possiblity of personal responsibilty taking a foothold once again in this country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom