Macro operation for RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich-D-Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering the RX100 as a replacement to my Canons s95. With my s95 I can get pretty good macro shots in manual mode, zooming halfway in, and using the auto focus. I have read on several forums that to take macro shots on the RX100 I will need to add a diopter lens and focus manually only? Is that accurate? I don't mind adding a wet diopter switching in and out of it. But can I not still use the auto focus on the RX100 to take the photo? Or do I literally need to use the manual zoom ring? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Just a little confused and no way to get my hands on the camera to test this out first. My alternative option would be to stick with Canon and go with the s110 or G15 which I know can both take great macro shots, not even needing a diopter necessarily. Thanks.

It is not true that the S95 takes macro with the bare lens
In fact no compact camera takes real macro with the bare lens you may want to read this
http://interceptor121.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/choosing-a-close-up-lens-for-a-compact-camera/
I have an S95 and the key difference is that the RX100 has a much larger capture area than the S95 so to bring you at the same level than the S95 you already need a diopter for the RX100
In fact to shoot real macro with the RX100 you need more than 10 diopters this means you are getting very very close and the camera autofocus works erratically and you need to switch to manual focus however that is not as difficult as it seems as there is pretty much only one position where it will focus and the peaking is good
This little video is shot with two inon UCL165 in manual focus and it is real macro
http://youtu.be/vyegzx70EcU

I appreciate all the info Interceptor121. Very good article, and I actually think I understood 80% of it ;-) I'm very inexperienced in photography. My first follow up question about the RX100 operation is can you do this process of manual focus with peaking with one hand? I dive in low viz rough water most of the time and need my left hand to hold onto something. That's why I have loved my s95 for so long. Zoom in halfway, auto focus and snap. I understand what you are saying about macro vs close-up. My s95 got me pretty close and I was able to post crop and get fairly good "macro-like" results some of the time of 1/2" long nudibranchs. The only reason I got rid of my s95 is because of it's land video performance, and the fact you can't optically zoom while recording. It's a feature I really need and I don't want to own multiple cameras. I was hoping to get that with the amazing RX100 video quality I've seen, and get some improved close up UW shots as a bonus. So if I understand correctly when comparing the RX100 and the G15 in the article I would probably need to get much closer to the subject with the RX100 using a diopter to achieve the same focal distance as the G15 without a diopter? I have friends getting amazing close up results with their G15. And if I'm right about the one-hand-simplicity factor using either camera, maybe the G15 would be a better camera for me now? The G15 video sample I've seen were not as good as the RX100, but certainly usable. I've also considered the s110 since it is so similar to my s95, but the video samples I've seen online are a bit lacking. Could have been the user.

The video of Canon compact camera does not compare to the RX100 not even get close
If you are looking at something that has great autofocus and works in manual and TTL get a Panasonic LX7 it has superior video mode and the autofocus is incredible. Single hand operation of the RX100 at macro level not an option

Video of the RX100 with plenty of macro and close up
[youtubehq]nwmEg9yY874[/youtubehq]
Video with the LX7 at Lembeh with super macro
[youtubehq]JYDVDKzMzmo[/youtubehq]

Sounds like this may be the way to go. Thanks very much!

---------- Post added August 8th, 2013 at 02:29 PM ----------

One last question. I've read through your blogs and you have used a wide variety of different ad ons to your LX7 that you recently sold. If I buy an LX7 I assume the Nauticam housing is the way to go. I only see those and Ikelite on the net, and I stay away from Ikelite due to fogging issues I've had in the past with the clear housings. I've also never used a diopter on any camera before. What would be the best setup in your opinion for a quick on & off diopter with some sort of caddy so that I can switch from wide to closeup all dive long? I like to take my closeup shots from about 3-8" away from the subject. Any closer I'm banging into something or scaring it away. California green muck diving at its best ;-) Thanks again for all the valuable input!

Here is my pics from Fiji using RX100 with INON wide angle with dome and INON close up lens (UCL-100).

This was based on Interceptor's recommendation.
Thanks BTW Inteceptor, Im really happy with the results
Fiji 2013 douts - a set on Flickr

I didn't take much macro as there was always a lot of current, but what I got was very good.
I did have some trouble with focus especially in current, but I took lots of photos when I was in doubt and ended up with good pics

Here is my pics from Fiji using RX100 with INON wide angle with dome and INON close up lens (UCL-100).

This was based on Interceptor's recommendation.
Thanks BTW Inteceptor, Im really happy with the results
Fiji 2013 douts - a set on Flickr

I didn't take much macro as there was always a lot of current, but what I got was very good.
I did have some trouble with focus especially in current, but I took lots of photos when I was in doubt and ended up with good pics

Hi

What is it your inon wide angle ?

Back
Top Bottom