Made in China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love waving an American flag as much as the next guy... but I know the factory where the BC's are being made. It has far superior quality control than most of the American factories.

I can't speak for him, but I know all the products coming over are inspected in the US, and I'll be willing to bet he has less QC rejections than when they were made domestically.

I know this was not an easy decision for Scott... We talked about it some... but the fact remains that people simply will not pay $100 more for a US made product. Sure, it's great to say you would - but when it comes time to open the wallet... And when it comes down to it, you can't find good employees that want sewing jobs anymore domestically.

Are you going to stop buying rubbermaid products?? When they could not compete... they went under - bankrupt. The Chinese bought their dies and the rights to the name. And if a company does not watch the bottom line - they will not survive.

A huge percentage of the products you use everyday come from abroad... it's the simple facts in a world economy.

JackSpearo:
The Chinese aren't well known for making impressive items...

The reason there are so many cheap made, low quality Chinese goods is that "CHEAP" is the main specification on the purchase order. If you specify "Quality" as one of your top requirements then you will get quality goods. The old saying "You get what you pay for" has global implications. Many American, European, and even Japanese companies have spent the better part of the last decade sending their best Engineering and Manufacturing minds to China setting up new factories. They now have manufacturing capabilities that would shock most people to see. Don't doubt for a minuet that if Zeagle is specifying quality as top concern and then backing that up with QC that you will get the same if not higher quality goods you have always got. I wish everything was made in the USA, after all I am a Manufacturing Engineer. The truth though is that nobody wants to work in a factory and the economy isn't willing to pay for it if they did.

I have sent Scott an email apologising for this thread as I never intended to insult him. My reason for this thread was that I was just surprised when my BC arrived and it had the Made in China label.

I bought the Zeagle brand as I thought it was made in the USA and I would like to support the USA as they do us Australians. I also wanted the piece of mind that the quality was 100% as per American standards and not Chinese manufacturing standards.

The BC is still in the box and has not been used as I am still a bit disappointed. I am wondering if I should send it back and pay the difference for the LTD as it is made in the USA. Only issue is that the Australian distributor does not import the LTD :(

I am still a HUGE fan of Zeagle as I am currently diving with a Scout that was made in the USA :D

What I am surprised is that many people have a misconception about maid-in-china products. I don’t have an exact number though. Most products made in China are OEM products of U.S. brand. Yes, there are also a lot of cheap stuffs that you are easily able to get from the hardware store or Wally world. However, these cheap stuffs are also produced by the demanding from the major U.S. distributors, such as Wal-Mart. Wal-mart is trying to make every effort to cost down. Hence, the small business in U.S. is getting out of business. It isn’t done by Chinese, but by American. In addition, if this cheap stuff isn’t supplied, I am sure that a lower and middle classes in U.S. are getting into chaos. Are you ready to pay more (2 or 3 times) for the same stuff?

Many Japanese cars are getting more manufactured in America. It is truly Japanese car or American car in your viewpoint?

Let’s wake up. It is a global world. If you don’t plan to DIY everything, you have to adjust your brain to a changing world.

jpsexton:
The reason there are so many cheap made, low quality Chinese goods is that "CHEAP" is the main specification on the purchase order. If you specify "Quality" as one of your top requirements then you will get quality goods. The old saying "You get what you pay for" has global implications. Many American, European, and even Japanese companies have spent the better part of the last decade sending their best Engineering and Manufacturing minds to China setting up new factories. They now have manufacturing capabilities that would shock most people to see. Don't doubt for a minuet that if Zeagle is specifying quality as top concern and then backing that up with QC that you will get the same if not higher quality goods you have always got. I wish everything was made in the USA, after all I am a Manufacturing Engineer. The truth though is that nobody wants to work in a factory and the economy isn't willing to pay for it if they did.

Thanks, John. You said what I have been trying to come up with the words to say for a couple of days now...

Like I said originally, this decision was not made lightly, nor without the emphasis being made on bringing in a quality product.

Many Zeagle dealers will tell you that about 2 years ago, in the height of dive season, we were almost 6 weeks behind in orders. We simply could not produce enough here to satisfy all of the orders we had. It was a nightmare for us, and we lost a few really good dealers due to the fact that we could not deliver product. "Made in USA" was always something that we were proud of, but something had to change, or we most likely would be looking down the barrel of total company colapse.

Finding more sewing people in Zephyrhills, Florida (and the surrounding areas) was simply not going to work - we were not gaining them, we were losing them due to the fact that they were getting older and retiring, with no young people willing to learn to sew and replace them. Face it, sewing is a dying art in America, whether you like it or not. Did your mother sew when she was young? Did your Grandmother? Does your wife or sister or daughter who is under 30??

For the people who want to have a "Made in the USA" BC, we have our custom program. Sure, it costs more, but it was one way that we could continue to service the people who were willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Can I assure you that you will never have a warranty issue with a BC that is "custom made" right here in Zephyrhills??

No.

Can I assure you that we will continue to support our customers with the best possible customer service possible, regardless of where the BC you purchased was made??

Yes, I can.

Thanks for caring.

Scott

VK2ICJ:
At a minimum the American flag on the shoulder strap in my opinion should be replaced with a Zeagle emblem. It's misleading to say the least.:no

I completely agree. I understand and do not have a problem with the fact that Zeagle is having to use overseas manufacturing capabilities. I just don't like the fact that the American flag is then put on those BC's, that is highly misleading.

yea it is misleading and it sucks...because when I see the American flag on diving equipment, I think of an American made Zeagle.

I understand the situation, and it sucks...but at least we can do the custom thing...and at least, as of now, a lot of their stuff is still made in USA...

The BC is still in the box and has not been used as I am still a bit disappointed. I am wondering if I should send it back and pay the difference for the LTD as it is made in the USA. Only issue is that the Australian distributor does not import the LTD

Hi Brett
If you really want an LTD that bad I can order one over for you in the next shipment, we can do any of the Zeagle products you only need ask.

In Scott's defence I have looked very closely at the new BCD's coming out of Zeagle next to the older models from a few years ago, as the importer of Zeagle for Australia I am most impressed with the workmanship on the new BCD's. The sewing is the goods, equal if not better than the older stock, I truly believe we will see even fewer warranty issues, not that there where any to start with...

I understand peoples frustration with them not being wholly produced in the States, but its a global economy now, and as long as Zeagle's QC is up to scratch in Florida I will continue to support the brand 100%.

Cheers
Chriso

Man, this is just sad. I understand why it happened, but it's still sad.

A friend's mom is a life long professional seamstress, now living in Destin. Now of retirement age, she still does professional quality work out of her home. You should hear her talk about trying to hire people to do quality work. She can't.

I'll just be happy that my Ranger wing & my daughters Zena were both made here.

Out of interest.......are the Chinese Zeagle products actually sold in the US as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom