Making your own LP hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing ! Why not grow one's own rubber trees or mine/smelt one's own iron/brass while we're at it ? Ever heard of the point of diminishing returns ? :shakehead:

While you are at it why not pop over to the Underwater Photography Forum and suggest that they can just buy pictures off the web. Save all that expensive camera gear.They could also stay dry in the process so they wouldn't need the scuba gear either. Think of all the savings.

I don't believe it is worth the risk unless you also have the capability to properly test the hose and are significantly competent to ensure that your cuts and fabrication method are extremely clean. No one wants to have a stray piece of thread/material floating through the system jamming up or blocking a functional port on a regulator.

If, however, DIY is your thing and you will not be fabricating for others, then spend the money on the equipment and supplies and manufacture hoses for yourself all day long. There is nothing wrong with DIY if you have the time, boredom and money to do it.

I, personally, would rather order custom length hoses that will last me years at a significantly lower cost than the tools and materials. I like the liability transfer too.

You seem to have knowledge in this area so I really am just trying to understand.

Are you saying that the crimping tools found in commercial hydraulic shops that are used to fabricate hydraulic hoses will not work to crimp the connectors on an LP hose? That would put a bit of a "crimp" in my plan.

As far as "risk"; I assume you are talking about the risk of a defect in the modification process leading to a failure. As I see it, the potential for failures due to manufacturing or design defects are inherent to any new or repaired products. I see no reason to believe that paying someone else for a product or service will necessarily produce any more reliable results than something I chose to do myself. Of course, that does mean I have to have some appreciation for my own capabilities and limitations. I feel it is often easier to assess my own capabilities and limitations than those of someone else. That is probably the primary reason I prefer to take care of my own regulators rather than trust them to the care of some unknown dive shop and whoever may be doing their work. With the possible exception of the miflex HP hose, I accept that commercial scuba hose manufacturers do produce a fairly reliable product. But I have also seen a number of hose failures, some rather impressive, and know that they are not immune to failure. So, that is just one more failure mode that it is better for a diver to be prepared for regardless of the source and history of the hose. Divers who are not prepared for failures are just fooling themselves.

If you choose to make your own hoses I would highly suggest that you use the tools and equipment that are specific to the hoses and fittings that you plan on fabricating. The individual dies, pressure required, depth of pressure are VERY relevant to the outcome of a well fabricated, safe hose.

In the past we had tried to use different manufacturer's fittings with existing dies because they were both for 3/8" hose and it was a crap shoot. These dies have tolerances specific to the manufacturer and under pressure some of the mix and match hoses failed where the tool and dies used on manufacturer specific equipment worked perfectly fine. I am of course talking about high pressure hydraulic hoses vs the LP that you are wanting to fabricate so the margin of error may be more. I simply ask that you proceed with caution and use the tools and equipment specific to the brand of hoses and fittings. From my direct experience, it certainly can make a difference.

Again, to each their own. I personally do not feel it is worth the time, effort and expense of equipment. Especially for parts that will be in salt and fresh water. The smallest changes are made by engineers after lots of testing of equipment in the name of safety. Just don't try to minimize the fact that you are fabricating a piece of life safety equipment.

Again, it this is your thing and you feel the need because this is a hobby of yours then fire away all of the equipment you want to. Just be careful and proceed with caution. I am sure you are more than capable of doing whatever you set out to do. Just don't think you are going to buy a set of hydraulic crimp dies on Ebay and be in business. Tolerances for dies and pressure used can be the difference between breathing normally at 130' or not. A leaking hose connected off your first stage can be the result.

The point of DIY is often the journey as much as the product or cost.
I often find the cost is MORE than what I could have purchased the product for :D

Of course that would be because I have a shiny new tool in my tool box :cool2:

Perfect example: I could buy a new boat cover for $400. Instead I bought the materials to do it for $180. Big savings right? Wrong, I needed an industrial sewing machine to punch through the four layers of heavy duty fabric. So before I bought the Sunbrella, I purchased a nice industrial sewing machine. It has already made quite a few projects (G/F made a sexy skirt on it!), and should be good to go for many years.

Now back to hoses. I have a really nice H brand hose that needs the end cut off and a new fitting installed (Small bulge at 1st stage). Not a cheap hose, and worth repairing if I new someone who could. I am not buying the equipment to do hoses as it is cost prohibitive for me. I also have a really nice Snap-on air hose that could use the end cut off and a new one installed.

Removing ferrules from used fittings can be genuinely challenging.

Sourcing the hose ends is much more difficult than sourcing the ferrules.

If I needed to field modify or repair LP hoses I'd use the screw on type fittings and leave the crimping to those with the equipment and correct parts.

Tobin

I often find the cost is MORE than what I could have purchased the product for :D

Of course that would be because I have a shiny new tool in my tool box :cool2:

Perfect example: I could buy a new boat cover for $400. Instead I bought the materials to do it for $180. Big savings right? Wrong, I needed an industrial sewing machine to punch through the four layers of heavy duty fabric. So before I bought the Sunbrella, I purchased a nice industrial sewing machine. It has already made quite a few projects (G/F made a sexy skirt on it!), and should be good to go for many years.

Now back to hoses. I have a really nice H brand hose that needs the end cut off and a new fitting installed (Small bulge at 1st stage). Not a cheap hose, and worth repairing if I new someone who could. I am not buying the equipment to do hoses as it is cost prohibitive for me. I also have a really nice Snap-on air hose that could use the end cut off and a new one installed.

I'm am a little puzzled on this idea of using an industrial strength sewing machine to make sexy cloths for your g/f. I hope that is that because of the severe consequences of and seam failure.:cool2:

I would probably think twice about repairing scuba hoses once the actual rubber hose has a problem. Then again, I have garden hoses with multiple patch jobs that are doing just fine. You know, a leaking garden hose can really drive up your water bill.:(

I'm am a little puzzled on this idea of using an industrial strength sewing machine to make sexy cloths for your g/f. I hope that is that because of the severe consequences of and seam failure.:cool2:
The sewing machine will do finer work to ya' know.

I would probably think twice about repairing scuba hoses once the actual rubber hose has a problem. Then again, I have garden hoses with multiple patch jobs that are doing just fine. You know, a leaking garden hose can really drive up your water bill.:(
In this case it is just a small section of hose right at the fitting. Cutting off the bad section of about an inch would fix the hose without any consequences as long as the repair was done properly. I have repaired many a shop air hose without failure using a hose clamp, but in the past had someone crimp the ends properly and used them for years after.

As long as you are only looking for LP 1st the 2nd stage or inflator hoses the pressures are only 120-145 under normal conditions. At these pressures you can, and I have seen and used, barb connectors with hose clamps. We make up 30-50' lengths for surface supplied O2 decompression from a welding regulator on a large bottle on the boat and then 10' long wips from a T connection to the 2nd stages.

Most 2nd stage to hose connections are CGA gas design, don't recal the CGA number off hand but a welding shop should be able to ID it in a minute or less and can be found at a good air and hydraulic shop or welding shop. The 1st stage connection can be harder to source but are around.

HP SPG gauge hose are too cheap to worry about, just buy them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom